KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just made the first purchase quad tech hump seat!!!!
Just bought one myself, going to finish the season this weekend on the 2x4...had about all i can take. I Hope this new one helps!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just read through this whole post and I am amazed that nobody has said go with the wider +2 long travel arms and switch your front wheel offset to 4in 1out???
I did that on my old KFX400 because I wanted the extra travel but couldn't fit the wide stance inside my enclosed trailer door... The wide arms with negative offset wheels was perfect.
I do mostly XC type riding, I have a ton of ideas for it, I would suggest dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket and drop 1-2 teeth on the rear, the KFX450 has tall gearing, adding 2 teeth on the rear sprocket gives you clearance issues with the skid plate, dropping 1 tooth on the front is to drastic and takes away to much over rev... dropping one on the front and two on the rear is the equivalent to adding 2 teeth on the rear, which seems to be right where you wanna be for xc style riding in my opinion

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Xc build

Sorry for my ignorance what do you mean off set the wheels? Just not that fimiliar and trying to educate my self

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance what do you mean off set the wheels? Just not that fimiliar and trying to educate my self
The common aftermarket front wheel width is 5 inches wide. It's available in what's called 3+2 and 4+1 offsets.

The 4+1 has 1 inch of width outboard of the center, and 4 inches of width inboard of center. This wheel would make the quad narrower.

The 3+2 has 2 inches outboard and 3 inches inboard, making the quad 2 inches wider than the 4+1.

I believe the stock KFX450 wheel is 4+1.5?

·
Registered
750 Posts
The common aftermarket front wheel width is 5 inches wide. It's available in what's called 3+2 and 4+1 offsets.

The 4+1 has 1 inch of width outboard of the center, and 4 inches of width inboard of center. This wheel would make the quad narrower.

The 3+2 has 2 inches outboard and 3 inches inboard, making the quad 2 inches wider than the 4+1.

You got everything but the factory offset on the KFX450, the factory offset is 3+2 like all the other factory wheels out there.

using the 4+1 offset will let you go wider on the A-arms add more travel yet not add to much to the width of the quad, they also tend to sharpen the steering a little bit. Then there is the "cool factor" 4+1 offset with wider arms just looks badass

·
Registered
446 Posts

You got everything but the factory offset on the KFX450, the factory offset is 3+2 like all the other factory wheels out there.

using the 4+1 offset will let you go wider on the A-arms add more travel yet not add to much to the width of the quad, they also tend to sharpen the steering a little bit. Then there is the "cool factor" 4+1 offset with wider arms just looks badass
Old thread, but I just verified the stock front wheels are 5.5x10 are 4+1.5

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If you go to the 3+2 you will have adverse handling for the XC set up, stay with 4+1. You dont want to stay around 46" for XC...The elka's have good components but they usually come set up all wrong. Get with a suspension company and have them set your bike up, not just your shocks. From there you can make small adjustments.

Seeing you have some suspension, spend the little bit of money getting that set up....thats what is going to make ya fast. Steering stabilizer is a huge help. Get your controls comfy, and then you can make any of the purchases you want after that. Without suspension set up, you just have a cool looking bike on the starting line, IMO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Xc build

Just added a ars/fx +1 stem to the build!!! Any recommendations on stabilizers? I see the streamline brand on eBay for fairly cheap but I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
go with precision, trust me! you really do what you get for, the difference between the two types is HUGE

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have precision on my race bike and a GPR on my practice bike. I prefer the precision but the GPR gets the job done too. Stay away from stick, but if you cant afford a precision, then its better than nothing.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts

Old thread, but I just verified the stock front wheels are 5.5x10 are 4+1.5
Frozen is correct.

And here I just put up something I guess I should have a long time ago that will help some folks clear up the weirdness of this stock wheel. Because what you expect with a wheel change it what you get are 2 different things because of this wheel.

http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/impo...n-kfx-front-wheels-post121250.html#post121250

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I have a brand new streamline rebuildable/7 way adjustable brand new in box never used its gta go 110 shipped!the precisions are nice but pricey I'd spend the bulk of your money 1st on suspension then move on to other components!sticks are great for the money I've had a couple and they were fine they do wear out faster than a puck style but this ones rebuildable so it'll last for years!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey fellas starting a xc build and just had a few questions and recommendations are also welcome. I have a 08 with standard travel elkas on the front. Everything else is pretty much stock. I was thinking about ordering a set of bars a stem and some precision clamps. The question I have is am I better off doing some suspension upgrades first. I have a setup in mind but its plus 2 is that going to be to wide for xc? I just want to be as comfortable as possible. I'm on a budget so I was going to upgrade a bit here and a bit there until I get it where I want it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!!!
You would want to keep it around 48 inches wide MAX. You will struggle in trails any wider

21 - 37 of 37 Posts