KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas starting a xc build and just had a few questions and recommendations are also welcome. I have a 08 with standard travel elkas on the front. Everything else is pretty much stock. I was thinking about ordering a set of bars a stem and some precision clamps. The question I have is am I better off doing some suspension upgrades first. I have a setup in mind but its plus 2 is that going to be to wide for xc? I just want to be as comfortable as possible. I'm on a budget so I was going to upgrade a bit here and a bit there until I get it where I want it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Yes, suspension/handling/comfort/protection... that is where the money needs spending for XC racing.

Full suspension all the way around, steering stabilizer, anti-vibe stem and precision clamps or flexx bars and so on.

6 ply tires, skid plates and personal protective equipment.

You really gotta have well set up suspension all around to ride a stock KFX to it's potential. Then once you get where you're riding the guts out of it, then do the power mods. But most don't ever really "need" that. They just do it cause they want to, or to have it where they can use it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
+1 I'm am wishing i had done suspension first. And now i got all this power and can't use it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stem

How much improvement will I see from the stem, clamps, and bars with my current setup? I really just trying to get as comfortable as possible. What size stem would you guys recommend? Also is the +2 suspension I'm lolling at going to be to wide for xc?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The shocks are what is junk on this bike. They race suzuki's in the woods and they are like 50" wide but I'm sure it will be a little more difficult than a 46" bike would be.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xc

I'm 5'11, any stem in particular you guys like to use? What about a arms I was going to go with atv 4 play xc setup (which im told is +2) with motowoz shocks on the front and rear any thoughts on that setup? I have the option of sticking with the standard travel stage 3 elkas for the front and a elka elite in the rear, I'm just not sure what route to go with. I would imagine that after while I would switch to long travel anyway just not sold on the plus 2 setup. Once again any thoughts I would appreciate thanks

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My stem is houser and i have no complaints about it. For xc i would go for +1 arms that being 1 inch per side so its +2 inches wider total. If your gonna spend the cash mine as well go long travel. Motowoz has great reviews. Never heard a bad thing about them. Atv 4 play is also very good products. So yes that would make a good setup.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Ya like said above suspension is a must for racing along w a stabalizer!beadlock wheels are nice too I reccomend a plus 1 or two stem I run a plus 2 and I'm 5'6"!as for stems check out ars/fx with zbroz racing there a site sponsor and offer great deals and they also sell a arms/shocks lots of guys on here run the setup including me and love it I went with +3/4" a arms long travel for xc!skid plates are a must as well swinger and belly skids!good luck with your build let the fun begin!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yea i run a +2 houser stem as well and love it.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Keep the stem length in mind if you are going with the Flex bars as a plus 2 and the bars and your going to have to do some work to get all the handlebar connections to reach without binding.

I am 5'11 and run the flex bars and some day will buy a +1 stem.

As for the other stuff. The steering stabilizer was a must for me after I caught a tree root sticking up and got a nasty bruise on my bicep. Still one of my best investments to date. The seat had to go as well that stock seat is like a solid 2x4.

On most of the XC layouts I have ran you spend a lot of time in tight trails so being able to ride longer is way more important than riding faster, so you looking at suspension and such is a step in the right direction. One of the groups I use to run with used 52 inches as the minimum trail width, let me tell you when your moving at a decent speed that 3 inches total clearance isn't much. So before going +2 on the front end I would find out what the organizations you are planning on racing use for minimum trail width.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Ya I agree rare dirt my 1st year of xc racing I was running 2.25" a arms I was at 49" this past season I made the switch and narrowed up to +3/4" I'm 46" now and it did take a little gtn used to but now there's no comparison were others have to slow down in tight spots I don't I can stay on the gas and not worry!best change I've made I've shaved 2-3 minutes off my previous race season lap times!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Xc

Keep opinions and suggestions coming really appreciated all info for sure. Im definitely looking to be as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Xc

What do you guys think about the standart travel Elkas? Should I switch immediately to long travel or will I be ok with that setup?

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Run what you have a race or so. That will tell you more than we can.

A little eye opener round will help you prioritize.

As for the stem.... gosh I tell ya, I struggle with what to do on bar height. This might be because I run a stock stem though. I have been running +1 bar risers and the mounts rotated around away from me.

I have a mixed opinion. I like the bars higher as far as keeping myself in check and on the quad, and I like them when standing. I am just no so sure when sitting and cornering.

After having them that way a while now I am going to toy around with position and height.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ya I had an ltr450 before and in tight trails
It was ruff I hit a tree and broke my hand
Deff wasn't fun . I ride with a bunch of guys that
Ride crf 450 and trying 2 keep up with them was almost
Impossible having 2 slow down when shit got tight!!
I picked up my 09 kfx 450 used all set up for gncc
Style racing and has bin a dream in the woods I'm right there with
My boys on there crf 450. The bike dosnt rip turns as fast as the ltr because
Its not as wide and sits higher but if most of your
Riding is in woods it's totally worth the it..!!! I have the houser sli cast
Lower and upper a arms elka full suspension houser +2 stearing stem
With flex bars and precision stearing dampener and I love the set up
I have carpul tunell in both hands and had the surgery done
On my left hand but not on the right one yet and with these flex bars
My hand dosnt go numb even after riding 4 plus
Hours deff worth geting !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also have the longstar Excalibur axle. I hear there adjustable ??
Mines set up stock with but I would like 2 make it a little wider
In the rear. How do you do that ??

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Run whatever stem height feels comfortable for you, I am a little over 6 foot and like a stock length stem. Personal Preference.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I also have the longstar Excalibur axle. I hear there adjustable ??
Mines set up stock with but I would like 2 make it a little wider
In the rear. How do you do that ??
There should be spacers in front of the wheel hub if its at stock width. Take those spacers and move them behind the hubs to make it wider.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts