KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stopped running the other day when out riding. Seems it was the fuel pump. Turn the key on, hit the RED button that starts the fuel pump and all we heard was "click,click", instead of the normal...... hearing the fuel pump run.
Bought a new fuel pump and installed it. NO CHANGE. Turn the key on, hit the RED button that starts the fuel pump and hear "Click-Click" (sometimes we don't here anything - we have to turn the key back off and then on again to hear the clicking sound) It sounds like the clicking is coming from in front of the handlebars where all the wiring is.

Any ideas?

Note: the battery is full charged.

Thanks for helping in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid/30 amp fuse block...Check for a loose connection & test the battery's voltage 12.8 volts standard....see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... I will check than thanks.. For what it's worth the battery is good 12.8 volts, but I can tell you the "headlights" also DO NOT come on? would that be related to the same starter solenoid/30 amp fuse block ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be the "relay" and which relay would it be? Can I get an aftermarket (or used) relay?

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Could it be the "relay" and which relay would it be? Can I get an aftermarket (or used) relay?
Did you try and start it with your ear to the starter solenoid to hear if it was clicking.....Also check your battery's wire connection & 12.8 volts at the starter solenoid...

You might have a bad connection or wire...if the lights don't work..???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With he key ON and then I hit the gray start button and my ear to the starter solenoid, I do here clicking. The clicking seems to stop and I have to turn the key off and then on again to hear the clicking. But it is clicking so does that mean my "wired connections" are good?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correction.... the clicking has stopped. I do not hear the clicking any longer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Is this what I need?...

Not sure...!! It looks like a bad, dirty, wet or broken wire connection...

You'll need an voltage tester to measure voltages & troubleshoot...Before buying anything...Yet...!!!

Do you have 12v at the starter solenoid 30 amp fuse...???

Do you have 12v on the ignition coil Y/R to frame ground...???

Do you have 12v on the brown wire at the handlebar headlight switch...???

All the relays will chatter if there's too little voltage to hold them close...??

Also test the relays see picture

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to jump the starter solenoid....
...with a screwdriver and go nothing, no spark, no nothing. I tried it with and without the key turned on. Does this prove my starter solenoid is bad?

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
"You said you have no headlights"..

You need a multimeter to see if you have 12v / battery voltage at the the 30 amp fuse...if yes...

Then,

You need to check for 12v at the ignition coil...

You need to check for 12v at the headlights switch...

You need to check for 12v at the fan & fuel pump relay...

You need to check for 12v at the fuel injector...

Or take it to a shop and have them troubleshoot the problem...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
"You said you have no headlights"..

You need a multimeter to see if you have 12v / battery voltage at the the 30 amp fuse...if yes...

Then,

You need to check for 12v at the ignition coil...

You need to check for 12v at the headlights switch...

You need to check for 12v at the fan & fuel pump relay...

You need to check for 12v at the fuel injector...

Or take it to a shop and have them troubleshoot the problem...
I forgot to mentioned...Check is the decompression spring on the exhaust cam has fallen off...see picture

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This ended up being 2 things... 1.) I took apart the right side handlebar start switch and inside all the connecting wires were corroded / dirty. I tested all the voltage and everthing seems good. 2.) I have a new battery ordered and will be here mid-next week as I could jump start but the minute I removed the jumper, it died.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts