KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 kfx450r I have good fuel to the throttle body,good compression, and spark; but it won't start and when it does, it only runs for a few seconds. Any ideas? Injector nozzle maybe?

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
I have a 2012 kfx450r I have good fuel to the throttle body,good compression, and spark; but it won't start and when it does, it only runs for a few seconds. Any ideas? Injector nozzle maybe?
Welcome to the Forum...!!!

Does the water temp/F.I light flash or remain on while starting...?

Check the vehicle down sensor might be off it's bracket it's should be mounted between the fender brackets under the hood...! if good

When it does run then stalls & doesn't start after like it's flooded...?

Then your water temp sensor is faulty

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
+1 on the tip over sensor. Been there. Zip tie that thing into place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No lights but the neutral. It kinda acts like its flooded but I'm not sure. I don't know what it is for, but there is a sensor with a 30 amp fuse in it right next to the handle bars and it clicks every time I hit the start button, almost like a cylinoid. it may be normal; but ive never noticed it before

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
No lights but the neutral. It kinda acts like its flooded but I'm not sure. I don't know what it is for, but there is a sensor with a 30 amp fuse in it right next to the handle bars and it clicks every time I hit the start button, almost like a cylinoid. it may be normal; but ive never noticed it before
Sensors don't function below 11.5 volt...!

It might be a low battery voltage charge your battery...!

Full charge is 12.8 volts...

Then try a start it...!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already hooked cables to it first from a pickup; but the guys at the dealer told me not to because the quad functions off extremely low volts; so I tried with my girlfriends Z400; but I had the same results. the battery started off being fully charged. It started missing so I put a new fuel filter in it and plug. The filter was really dirty. I put it back together and had good fuel coming through the line when I turn the key on;but I have been having this problem ever since. It has about 140 hours on it

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
I already hooked cables to it first from a pickup; but the guys at the dealer told me not to because the quad functions off extremely low volts; so I tried with my girlfriends Z400; but I had the same results. the battery started off being fully charged. It started missing so I put a new fuel filter in it and plug. The filter was really dirty. I put it back together and had good fuel coming through the line when I turn the key on;but I have been having this problem ever since. It has about 140 hours on it
140 hours is a lot could be worn piston rings...Maybe?

Did you check the vehicle down sensor...!!

First..!
Check the battery with a voltage meter...! 12.8 volts standard...

If you can get it to idle, check the charging system...see pic

If the battery & charging system checkout good,

Test your compression 65~75 psi throttle wide open, warm engine...!

If all good, check the fuel pressure with a tester, even though your filter is cleaned your fuel regulator can be bad...!!!

This type of tester...New Fuel Injection Pump Injector Tester Test Pressure Gauge Gasoline Cars Trucks | eBay

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
OK so now the temp/fi light is flashing when I turn it over
That's the vehicle down sensor or low battery voltage...!

Did the vehicle down sensor fall off the bracket...???

Also you can also do a DFI self diagnosis...

see picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have determined that it needs a valve adjustment. Thinking about stage 2 cams any recommendations?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Under the hood, centered between the fender bracket...see pic
My light is flashing soon as I turn key over I got a new fuel injector bcuz I thought it was bad bcuz I checked and it was getting fuel to the injector but not passing through, I also put a roll over sensor eliminater on and it still didn’t help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts