KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody see the front end widening kits on ebay? It relocates the mounting points for the a arms and shocks outward. You guys think it works well? Also was wondering if you could do away with the shock mount ones and use, say, a yfz450r shock which is 2 inches longer, and has more travel, I believe. You could buy the kit and used shocks for like 350 and get at least 100 back when you sell your stock shocks. So it would only cost like 250. As opposed to like 600 at least for extended a arms? Would this be better than wheel spacers? And how do you guys feel about rear wheel spacers?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Diamond J Customs is the manufacturer

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Seen them i would think they would mess with all the suspension geometry if i was looking to go wider id run wheel spacers over those just my .02

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
It moves everything. So its not messing with suspension geometry. Its almost like ur making ur frame wider. But i personally wouldnt do it. And a def dont recomment wheel spacers on the front. Between the two if your dead set on making it wider ide go with ur first option..

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I'm going to recommend passing entirely.... do it the right way or leave it alone. They make wider A-arms and axles for a reason... and they also built the KFX as narrow as they did between the arm mount points for a reason as well.

What in the heck are you going to do with a +6" front end anyways????
Too wide to ride off road, too wide to race MX or flat track...

Is it going to be a Motard?... A black top street ridden quad?

Still I would be a little skiddish even on pavement. The KFX wheelbase is only 49.4" long so you are talking about making something wider than it is long... not sure I would do that.

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
+1 on mocoloco's suggestion i have a set of the lone star sport a arms on my kfx , it is one of the best upgrades i have made , also i have the diamond j custom widening kit on my daughters trx250ex and it is pretty bulky . i wouldn't trust it on a more powerful atv. you can always find a good deal on the site if you are patient.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
i would do it the right way. i honestly don't see where the widening kid would cause problems it would be no different than having a quad with a wider frame. what i mean is our arms are probably the same length as a ltr's arms but the ltr is wider because it has a wider frame. and thats how they do lift kits on independant front suspension trucks. they literally just make pieces to drop down the whole suspension down. my only concern is the type and thickness of material they use to make these pieces.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the plus 4.5" kit not the plus 6" kit. and honestly the 4.5" inch is probably still a 1/2" too wide. I just wanna hit some decent sized jumps and ride wide trails. Nothing too crazy. I'm not racing. I agree that wider a arms are the right way to go, but for the arms and long travel shocks (even if you find them used) will be at least 1200 bucks. As opposed to a couple hundred...

·
Registered
735 Posts
The lone star sport a arms do not require aftermarket length shocks. I have my stock shocks bolted up to my sport a arms.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Any of your regular travel widened arms dont actually require aftermarket shocks.. Of course its gonna make a softer ride

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, maybe that's what I should do

1 - 12 of 12 Posts