·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would happen if I ran long travel a arms with the stock shocks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Your ride height would be all facked up and it will handle like poo, trust me. Im living it. Suspension set ups are designed to certain angles, stroke, ect., and if you dont have the properly matched set the entire function of the suspension is thrown off and it therefore throws off your ride, handling, ect.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I actually have a picture of mine with LT arms with stock shocks on it so i could move it around, if your familiar with suspension at all you will see how bad it is. Im far from a suspension wizard, but you can tell it would never work. ill see if i can find the pic.

EDIT: Scratch that, must have deleted it, sorry about that. I might put my bike back on them to sell the set of shocks i have, ill snap another one then.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Ya man stock travel combined w a long travel a arm will result in a travel loss of at least 2 inches which will in then kill your ride height and mst likely you'd b bottoming out the entire ride!!as for shaggyman he did the opposite even thow both shocks/and a arm were long travel his shocks were 1.25" longer than what was required so his ride is super nose high bouncy as he'll and probably has horrible front end traction!what ever you decide make sure you match the correct parts together!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ya man stock travel combined w a long travel a arm will result in a travel loss of at least 2 inches which will in then kill your ride height and mst likely you'd b bottoming out the entire ride!!as for shaggyman he did the opposite even thow both shocks/and a arm were long travel his shocks were 1.25" longer than what was required so his ride is super nose high bouncy as he'll and probably has horrible front end traction!what ever you decide make sure you match the correct parts together!
Surprisingly, i only really have a traction loss under heavy throttle, and i wouldnt call it bouncy at all. BUT...it will roll over instantly if you give the bars a good crank, even with lots of body weight. I cant dial it out without causing other problems, just a crap situation. BUT i did find a matching set of arms, however WTF am i gonna do with a 50 inch bike in an xc race??

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you find matching arms? I might be able to buy your shocks from you and then get those arms for myself. A 50 in quad would be fine for me and racon MX

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I ran 2.25 houser a arms all last season wasnt too bad a few spots i had to slow down but even if i was narrower i probably still would slow down!!4+1 front rim offset will narrow u up 2"!i was 48.5" with my set up running 4+1 fronts so if your running 3+2's then u have some room to narrow up!personally id rather b wider for stability and just slow down when needed!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where do you think I could pick up cheap shocks or a arms?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If your gonna run stock shocks why not just get a set of standard travel +2 arms. I have the sport series lonestar arms on mine with stock shocks. Im at 50 inches wide.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Where did you find matching arms? I might be able to buy your shocks from you and then get those arms for myself. A 50 in quad would be fine for me and racon MX
Let me call the guy with the arms, ill let you know how much he wants for em.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I ran 2.25 houser a arms all last season wasnt too bad a few spots i had to slow down but even if i was narrower i probably still would slow down!!4+1 front rim offset will narrow u up 2"!i was 48.5" with my set up running 4+1 fronts so if your running 3+2's then u have some room to narrow up!personally id rather b wider for stability and just slow down when needed!

Apparently the series you run is a lot more open than mine, I got my front end stuck between trees last race, that's stock........

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok sounds good thanks

·
Registered
5,216 Posts

Apparently the series you run is a lot more open than mine, I got my front end stuck between trees last race, that's stock........
Ya it's not too tight some spots are depends on skill level I guess I'm comfortable keeping a pretty good pace in tight stuff but on the few spots were it could end your day I just slow down I got some vids on YouTube check em out under ononewheel7 and you can see!I am making the switch this year to the xc zbroz set up so running a 3+2 front rim I'll be 47"wide if needed I can narrow up using my 4+1s which will bring me to 45"!so well see how the difference is!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Shaggy man I'd stick to the zbroz a arms and hold of on selling them!!save uf for the shocks did you by chance sign up for there rider support program???30% off if you did so shocks would be around 900 bucks new!if you didn't sign up they offer forum members 10%!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how much different would it feel if i went with stock shocks revalved with standard travel +3 a arms compared to long travel a arms and shocks?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's kind of a hard question to answer imo, but its noticeable. Some people would swear by it and some will say a revalve is great. Remember you will have more travel that will soak up more/bigger bumps. Imo, it only makes sense that the lt stuff feels and works better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts