KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
In the back of the engine above the starter can someone let me know what this is? It looks like a knob that's held in by two 6mm bolts that has a large adjustment screw?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The reason I ask is because I seem to have a lower end oil leak in the back of the engine because oil is sitting on top of the starter motor. Any ideas how to determine where an oil leak is coming from or possibly where oil leaks in that area tend to come from?

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Hello All
In the back of the engine above the starter can someone let me know what this is? It looks like a knob that's held in by two 6mm bolts that has a large adjustment screw?
That's the cam chain tensioner...see picture below

Check around the front sprocket oil seal & the reverse shift mechanism cable for the oil leak ( picture below)..also check the motor vent hose for possible oil leak too...!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... Do I need to drain the oil first before swapping out the engine (motor vent hose) breather hose? (92192-0432)

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Thanks... Do I need to drain the oil first before swapping out the engine (motor vent hose) breather hose? (92192-0432)
You shouldn't have too drain the oil...It's on top of the of the motor next to the starter...!
Question....Did you add too much oil with the last oil change or placed your quad on the rear grab bar in a wheelie position lately...??
Being the only way for oil to get into your motor's vent hose...!!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I did was this... In an effort to clean both left and right oil screens, I first drained the oil (main plug only) before I started. I measured the oil that drained out, it was 1QT PLUS 1/3 QT (or 42 total ounces of oil drained.) When I finished cleaning the oil screens, I put everything back together and filled the oil with the same amount that I removed 1-1/3 QTs, included NEW oil filter. There where no drips afterwards it all looked dry UNTIL we started to run it. This is where I notice oil drips (not too much) underneath ( center of engine), but the oil looks to be coming from behind the engine where the vent hose connects (clamps) to the engine. (OR around the starter motor) It's definitely engine oil. Note: NO wheelie's or grab bar manovers. My oil sight glass shows right in the middle and the drips are so minimal that after three consecutive days of running the quad the oil sight glass looks about the same. I just wipe up the little bit of oil I see the next morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your cam chain tensioner should have a little stopper bolt in the end there. The bolt does have a rubber seal on it so it may be leaking some oil there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.. about my oil leak. I cleaned the area behind the engine (clutch cable, tensioner, starter motor, breather hose etc...). Then ran it and watched it idle. It appear when starting to get warm oil is running down the outside of the breather ( 92192-0432) hose. Does the breather hose hold oil inside the hose all the time to leak like that? No willies, no flips etc.. just normal riding around the neighborhood around the block. Maybe the breather hose has cracks in it ? It's only $5 for a new one so might be worth a try to replace? My concern is if no willies, no flips, just easy riding around the block should there be oil running through that hose?

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Ok.. about my oil leak. I cleaned the area behind the engine (clutch cable, tensioner, starter motor, breather hose etc...). Then ran it and watched it idle. It appear when starting to get warm oil is running down the outside of the breather ( 92192-0432) hose. Does the breather hose hold oil inside the hose all the time to leak like that? No willies, no flips etc.. just normal riding around the neighborhood around the block. Maybe the breather hose has cracks in it ? It's only $5 for a new one so might be worth a try to replace? My concern is if no willies, no flips, just easy riding around the block should there be oil running through that hose?
A little oil is common in the vent hose, sucked in by the intake(see pic below)... you might want to remove the air filter & check for motor oil in the intake tube...Not normal If motor oil is found...

Here's a thread that might help Crankcase breather.

Causes
1) too much oil added beyond the capacity when oil was changed & sucked into the intake.. Capacity 1.35 L (1.43 US qt) completely dry new filter...!!
2) one or both oil sump screen are clogged causing the oil pump to starve & oil to backup in the motor case & sucked into the intake tube (stator or clutch side sump screens)
3) bad piston rings causing compressed air past the rings & pump the oil into the vent hose then sucked into the intake tube.....
4) Wheelies or standing the quad up on the rear grab bar...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your responses and help are greatly appreciated.
When we got the KFX450 there was some dried oil in the air filter box under the seat I took the box out and soaked it in Dawn Detergent cleaning it all out PLUS bought a NEW air filter. I no longer see oil in the air box.(bottom of box under the air filter) and we have been riding it pretty much.
As far as 1-4
1.) The oil shows 1/2 in the hour glass. I put 1-1/3 Qt of oil (with dry oil filter) in it when I changed oil when I did my water pump rebuild and flywheel gasket replacement. NOTE: oil level is lower now with this oil leak. Should the hour glass always show 1/2 or less than half?
2.) I cleaned both oil screens when I had both right and left side covers off.
3.) I was told by the previous owner that he rebuilt the whole "top end". So would that include piston rings? I thought he mentioned compress was 120-125psi, but not sure what "specific compression" he was referring to.
4.) We don't do any of this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts