KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK IVE HAD MY NEW KFX OUT 5 TIMES SO FAR. AND IM GETTING THIS NOISE EVERY SO OFTEN WHEN I GO INTO HARD TURN OR BURM IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR AND POWER OUT HARD. ITS A REAL HIGH PITCH SQEALING NOISE. WHEN I PULL IN THE CLUTCH THE NOISE CHANGES AND WHEN I DOWN SHIFT IT GETS LOUDER. IT DOES NOT GO AWAY UNTILL I HAVE CAME TO ALMOST OR A COMPLETE STOP THEN IT IS FINE. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND KNOW WHAT IT IS.
THANKS

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK IVE HAD MY NEW KFX OUT 5 TIMES SO FAR. AND IM GETTING THIS NOISE EVERY SO OFTEN WHEN I GO INTO HARD TURN OR BURM IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR AND POWER OUT HARD. ITS A REAL HIGH PITCH SQEALING NOISE. WHEN I PULL IN THE CLUTCH THE NOISE CHANGES AND WHEN I DOWN SHIFT IT GETS LOUDER. IT DOES NOT GO AWAY UNTILL I HAVE CAME TO ALMOST OR A COMPLETE STOP THEN IT IS FINE. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND KNOW WHAT IT IS.
THANKS[/b]
I think it is the front fenders buzzing/humming. I have noticed a similar noise, mainly when taking high speed corners, and look down and the fender where it connects to the bracket at the bottom is just whipping around pretty good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same noise happen to me its not the fenders trust me it sounds horrible!!!!
the only diffrence wih mine is that you have to shut it completly off ???

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had the same noise happen to me its not the fenders trust me it sounds horrible!!!!
the only diffrence wih mine is that you have to shut it completly off ???[/b]
Nope. Your noise is different then. I can reach down and grab the fender, and it stops on mine. I'd get yours checked out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is very bad and it goes with engine speed or what gear im in

·
Registered
16 Posts
I no 99% of the ltrs have a tranny wine but it has not been connected with any problems. Mine has done it since day 1 and no problems in that area. If it doesnt do anything id keep riding because you will have to pay out the ass for shop rates. Try put the quad in neutral and stop then start again should stop it if its same thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have skid plates added to the belly, it could be your problem, I found out it was mine. If you dont idk man, maybe its a rat. lol j/k

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me twice after hard runs to the top of Sand Mountain. Almost sounded like the sound of a fan belt slipping (yes I know the KFX doesn't have a fan belt).

I took it in to the dealer and they came back empty.

I was thinking it was the water pump or piston rings.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me twice after hard runs to the top of Sand Mountain. Almost sounded like the sound of a fan belt slipping (yes I know the KFX doesn't have a fan belt).

I took it in to the dealer and they came back empty.

I was thinking it was the water pump or piston rings.[/b]
That sounds serious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is for sure in the trans, like i said the noise when it starts usally after a hard turn, if im in 3rd ill slow down with the clutch in ill downshift into 2nd and the noise will get a louder higher pitch/faster whine, the it wont go away untill im in 1st and at or almost to a complete stop

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont know how the gears are cut in the tranny but straight cut gears (vs helical cut gears) tend to make alot of whinning noise. I would say that it is tranny noise. If it doesnt sound dirty (like it got sand in it) I would say it is normal. not litterally sand, but small shards of metal or broken teeth. Also, it may be the fuel pump whinning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine seems more engine related. I can come to a stop with the engine running and it still makes the noise. Turn it off, and back on and I am fine.[/b]
I just got back from little saraha and it's a pretty good workout for the quad to go up sand mountain. The KFX wouldn't happen to have the same clutch as the LTR would it? Maby try moving to a thicker oil. The LTRs whine like that. The wine went away when I put thicker oil in. Does it stop if you pull the clutch in or just when you turn the motor off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got back from little saraha and it's a pretty good workout for the quad to go up sand mountain. The KFX wouldn't happen to have the same clutch as the LTR would it? Maby try moving to a thicker oil. The LTRs whine like that. The wine went away when I put thicker oil in. Does it stop if you pull the clutch in or just when you turn the motor off?[/b]
all i have to do is pull the clutch in and come to a stop. im changing my oil for the first time this weekend does anybody rec anything this is my first 4 stroke and qaud. big switch from dirt bike but im liking it alot better

·
Registered
8 Posts
i put amsoil 20w50 in it and have not heard it since then . i asked the shop foreman at my local dealer first and he thought it was a good idea it runs good . i also put some engine ice in it it seems to run cooler since then

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds just like the noise the LTRs make. You have to come to a stop and pull the clutch lever in to get it to go away and then it's gone. I run mobile 1 v-twin 20W-50 and it got rid of my noise. you can get it at autozone which is a plus!

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are a lot of different oils you can use. Just make sure it isn't cheap. I run Castrol 20-50w with the Lucas oil additive. Never had a tranny whine. (I have an LTR)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts