KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hows it going everyone?

I been in the Atv sport since i was 10, now 23 over 13 years of experience in riding and wrenching on these. i had every 400 and 450 sport quad besides the ltr450 and kfx450. I am not going with the ltr as I will not buy a quad they stop making. I can say I did like the trx450er the best. It felt the most comfortable still had the power. Next was the can-am which was an amzing quad but in stock form lacked much bottom end. I ride mx, and small pits. Bottom end is key. I remember going from my 450r to the can am I was riding my buddies home mx track, very short with turns and not much room then a 50' double and what i was easily clearing on the trx The can am struggled in stock form with just exhaust and pink wire mod. Yfz is quick but never liked the feeling of sitting on top of the gastank and just feels to small.

I just cracked my case on my fully built rage motored outlaw 450mxr, which is the fastest quad I have ridden dew to a worked motor getting over 60hp. I don't need all that though. I dont race since I now have kids and alot more to worry about but I still like to enjoy a nice track and some nice jumps on occasions.

From what I read about the kfx most people like it, It seems pretty reliable with minor electrical issues with blown fuses and shotty batteries. but thats not a big deal. I want a true and honest opinion from you guys! I like to ride high in the gears revving out around turns and pulling hard to a jump.

Suspension I don;t mind any quad i get i will be updating to LT suspension all around. Its coming down to reliability, ride ability, comfort, controls and how easy the kfx450 is to work on. Hows the EFI function, Never been a fan of efi but wouldn;t mind it. Something light in the air where i can throw whips and small tricks with ease.

Please some more input, non bias if possible. Also how is the aftermarket world in these I run a small parts and service shop and this is the only quad i havent ridden or worked on. Any major pros and cons or problems I will need to know. What would I have to do to make the power come alive. I dont want to have to get it put exhaust, intake, cams, efi controller, tune just for it to be as fast as a 450r with a hrc cam.

Thanks In advance

Dan

·
Registered
188 Posts
Alright here is my input....The kfx has awesome bottom end, that is what i love most about it. The suspension is junk, but like you said your going to get full LT set up anyway. i had an ltr before my kfx and to be honest i love the reliability and ride way more on my kfx. The battery, electrical, etc are all jammed in around the motor on the ltr and stuff just got annoying to get to and work on. Realistically if you were to get a new kfx or whatever year you are planning on; put a good full exhaust, FCI intake, PCV, full LT setup, lonestar or dominator axle with a revalve rear or aftermarket shock i think you would love the kfx. With just the big 3 power mods you will notice a huge difference from stock and if thats not enough throw in some kx dirtbike cams or stage 2 hotcams. i was told once you start trying to fully build the motor its not near as reliable as say the trx or yfz. If for some reason you don't decide to throw some mods on it i think you will be disappointed. The stock kfx is just not up to par with other 450's. Overall the kfx is an awesome quad with a pretty solid motor, easy to control in the air, fun to ride, and in my opinion looks pretty damn sexy. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright here is my input....The kfx has awesome bottom end, that is what i love most about it. The suspension is junk, but like you said your going to get full LT set up anyway. i had an ltr before my kfx and to be honest i love the reliability and ride way more on my kfx. The battery, electrical, etc are all jammed in around the motor on the ltr and stuff just got annoying to get to and work on. Realistically if you were to get a new kfx or whatever year you are planning on; put a good full exhaust, FCI intake, PCV, full LT setup, lonestar or dominator axle with a revalve rear or aftermarket shock i think you would love the kfx. With just the big 3 power mods you will notice a huge difference from stock and if thats not enough throw in some kx dirtbike cams or stage 2 hotcams. i was told once you start trying to fully build the motor its not near as reliable as say the trx or yfz. If for some reason you don't decide to throw some mods on it i think you will be disappointed. The stock kfx is just not up to par with other 450's. Overall the kfx is an awesome quad with a pretty solid motor, easy to control in the air, fun to ride, and in my opinion looks pretty damn sexy. lol

Thank you for the reply i would probably do cams with the big 3. But would it still be on par with a trx with hrc cam, exhaust and filter?

·
Registered
188 Posts
to my knowledge, yes. the intake and pcv alone add 6hp give or take a few

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes a big 4 kawi is right with the hrc Honda with an intake and good exhaust. The kawi is more expensive than the other 450's to make fast. But once you spend the $ you'll see that it was worth it. The kawi handles the best IMO out of all the 450's.

·
Registered
735 Posts
i have the big 4 on my kawi, and since then i have been trying to play catch up with my honda's big 3. efi vs. carb... there is no comparison. my kawi rips it. i dont feel any power band, in fact the only thing i do feel is me kicking up dirt and hovering on the ground until about 4th gear. with the honda, i am not complaining. i like that bike. i just have to figure out what to do to make it rip like my kawi. so far....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys. THis is now one of my choices from here on out! Anyone have any advice shout it out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the kawi like to be revved out, I usually stay on my limiter especially around a berm. We are talking about a cammed, pipe, filter and tuned kfx

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The kawi lives on the rev limiter. I'm always on the limiter on mine. With my setup I make most my power in the high Rpm's.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm usually on the limiter a lot too in the air and on the ground Probly more then I should be
I like the bottom end power for coming out of corners too

·
Registered
188 Posts
ahh hell ya im bouncing off that limiter all the time lol

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I keep mine screaming but everything in it is built to handle it. I notice that you said earlier
were talking about a cammed, pipe, filter,And tuned kfx
the filter isn't the issue with the kfx its the actual intake itself. Once you change that (i recommend the FCI Intake) the kfx450 is capable of insane power. If I were you I would hold off on cams "unless you just get the 06db cams temporary" until you get a good p&p, valve job, and good CP piston then get a good set of webcams so you ain't doing everything twice.

As far as electronics I have never had a issue with mine other than once I broke a tail light and the wires got cut by the chain and blew a fuse. The other issue I had was bad relays which I found automotive relays that plug in their stead. But just about all quads use that same exact relay.

All in all the kfx450 has the potential to be one bad @$$ quad and it responds to simple bolt on mods better than any 450 in its class.

I definitely do recommend getting suspension if you can't afford a complete aftermarket setup at least getaadjustable uppers and revalved/resprung shocks if not you will quickly be outriding your suspension.

Oh and I also recommend a quadtech seat if you ever set down when you ride if not don't worry about it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
yea the seat hurts lol. i took the cover off of mine and shaved down that stuff that resembles the hard stuff they use for air conditioning ducts with a freaking grinder, then laid in some memory foam. put a new seat cover on and im happy with it. a lot cheaper than the quad tech seat, but those too are pretty nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys I am looking for the best deal around me on a kfx450 or yfz450r.

Is there a certain year I should be watching out for when it comes to the kfx or they all are practically just as good.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Their all pretty much identical other than the casting holes in the frame.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yup ^ all the same. Just make sure you get a green one.. They're the fastest :p

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
^^^lmfao^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree with everything said here and +1 on the seat. Do that first!!!
Another thing you may want to consider is a steering damper and risers. Makes a world of difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts