KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was an issue the KFX was criticized for but what are the options to fix this? I got my KFX used its a 2010 but the front end just feels so twitchy. I have checked over it, bushings are tight tie rods are tight ball joint are good. Just feels like when im riding any quick inputs to the steering the quad just wants to dart in one direction. I dont really wanna extend my A arms then i wont be able to fit though the tight wood trails. Would a steering damper be the only solution? Hopefully im not the only one with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
I know this was an issue the KFX was criticized for but what are the options to fix this? I got my KFX used its a 2010 but the front end just feels so twitchy. I have checked over it, bushings are tight tie rods are tight ball joint are good. Just feels like when im riding any quick inputs to the steering the quad just wants to dart in one direction. I dont really wanna extend my A arms then i wont be able to fit though the tight wood trails. Would a steering damper be the only solution? Hopefully im not the only one with this issue.
Did you lift the front wheels off the ground when checking the bushing, ball joints & tie-rods...??

Also did you check your steering stem bearing & wheel bearings to be good...??

Yes it's common to be twitchy out of the crate & a dampener is needed...

How twitchy it is depends also on your shock setting, toe-adjustment settings & ride height...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i did not lift the wheels off the ground when checking. I will try it that way but when pushing in on the top of the wheel, ball joint seemed good and so did the a arm bushings. Tie rods didnt have any play and no play in the steering

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
my shocks were way out of wack out of the box. I followed the settings i found on here and they are 100 times better.

also these came toed out a lot. Most of us run toed in about 1/8th of an inch.

you can eyeball it and get it close to even and that's better than stock atleast.

and yes a damper helps a ton. I run a cheap streamline and its fine. I don't expect it to last forever but it works.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Toe

Def. toe issue if front wheels are pointed in torwards wash other adjust them out when I adj mine I pretty much eye ball it but that should take care of your issue

·
Registered
821 Posts
I opted to set toe dead as straight as I could get it. Took about 5 times to get it perfect, Still turns tight and easy but high speed isn't even a problem on even jumpy chip and seal pavement mix. Just got another kfx450r all stock and it's a little more sketchy feeling and touchy, Got adjust it too.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Dead even is what I'm at too it definitely makes a difference

You want it tied in not out. Do some searching.

The Kfx comes way off from the factory.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
They make a tool to get it perfect. Try to get them even atleast.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You adjust the toe by adjusting the tie rod
Ends correct? Should you do this with the front tires off the ground?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know how to adjust the tie rods but idk how I actually know what degrees my wheels are at. Its not like a car on the alignment rack you dont actually know what degree and positive or negative toe. The suspension seems a little stiff to me i would like it to be a little softer to ride better over the bumps. For that i would need to adjust the rebound and compression?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Ya you adjust it by loosening the nuts on the tie rod ends.

I think I did it with the tires on the ground.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine used to get real sketchy at high speeds. Started with the alignment 1/8 inch or less tow in, got a ccp steering stabilizer, then got the slicast Houser a arms and adjusted the caster. Now she's stable at 70mph and only added about an inch in width. Check out this videos and look at the Speedo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had to get a + 1 steering stem and a ccp steering stabilizer and all twitchiness was cured. The stem changed the geometry and cut all vibration out of the bars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts