KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking and looking and i just dont have a clear answer on which is better! i looked at an old dirtwheels mag where they put kx cams in and they noted that the KFX was not only the fasted during the shootout, but it was a "MONSTER", stating that they would like to put it up against pro machines right off the bat. so anyways, i have looked at a million forums and i still just dont have a clear answer... which one is better for me? my kawasaki is already pretty fast with the yoshi pipe PIM2, pro design intake, and pro tec lid. before i go any further, would a FCI be that much better than the intake set up i have already? i noticed a big difference from stock to pro design, but am curious if i will notice a big difference if i switch FCI from pro design. but i want that answer secondly. the first answer i would like is which cams will be better? i ride around town and the cops never bother me, so i go as fast as i want. more importantly, my friends all have different bikes, all 450's. my bike was origianally the fastest, but after time they are all droppin cash on thier bikes and starting to catch up... not cool. i know i need to upgrade the cams. we drag race a lot. at least one time every time we ride. more importantly, i am going to Glamis on Easter weekend this year. i want to race a few people there, and i want to win. i dont want to beat 9000mil stroker super duper charged NOS infected banshees, but i dont want to get dusted by a dude on an outlaw or KTM 525... so that is what i am shooting for. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Fci... Enough said. And hotcams are suppose to be slightly better, very very little. People tend to get kx bc they are way cheaper. Jus get what ever is the better deal

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
+1 the hot cams are very slightly better, but so small of a difference you can't even tell. So just get what you can find a good deal on. You will see a very nice gain by switching to the fci, if you are drag racing and want to win races then the fci is an absolute MUST have. You should have a pretty fast setup with the cams and fci.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yeah FCI was the one mod that showed the biggest gain, we also put in KX cams and the bike woke up even more all while being smooth and powerful.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I used to run the pro-design kit with the EHS breathable lid and yes! the FCI is a night and day difference from the pro-design setup. I also have some 06 Kx cams in my bike now and all i can say is, be ready for a big change if you get an FCI, stg2 cams or kx cams.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tha is guys. I will go for the fci and hotcams. I found a set of ex and in for $260, which is the best deal anywhere brand new. Fci I'm still looking around, but as I have mentioned before money isn't really an issue. Stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I got a slightly used hot cam stg 2 exhaust cam that I am selling for 75$ shipped. Only reason I am selling it, is I am running a stg 3 exhaust now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks @tskracing for the offer. i found a good deal on brand new stage 2 hotcams. i brought this question up in another post (my very first post ever) if there is anything else i should replace while i am inside of there. please feel free to comment suggestions on anything else. i am not going to put a new piston in, so lets just get that out. haha thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I got a slightly used hot cam stg 2 exhaust cam that I am selling for 75$ shipped. Only reason I am selling it, is I am running a stg 3 exhaust now.
I assume ur using factory piston.. How do u like the stg 2 intake with the stg 3 exhaust set up?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I prefer webcans over the other two but if you ain't planning on changing your piston then you might as well stick with kx cams they allow you to retain a little more torque than the stageII cams.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
prityboy do you know of or have any referances to back up your statement? everyone has their opinions when it comes to the two. i want to see dyno results to determine that. i found a good deal on hotcams, and i have been recommended by my mechanic to go with hotcams. he said it is a little bit more aggressive, and would be backed better by the company if anything should go wrong.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Their almost the same, db and st2, its not a 2-3hp difference. Ur gonna see a better gain by switching to a fci.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the fci is coming with the cams, along with a couple extra things... im grabbing a streamline steering stabelizer... maybe i can drive this thing straight now lol.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was running the stock piston, I am in the process of going to a CP 13.5 :1 piston. I also have my head ported and throttle body bored out. My engine builder recomended the cam combination ( stg 2 intake, stg 3 exhaust) To have better acceleration. He felt the stg 3 intake would take away too much midrange hp. He said to keep the same cams in, when changing the piston.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Just people on the forum that i have talked to. I actually herd that with the 2006 intake and exhaust cams they gain power all the way through where the stageII you will loose power on the bottom w/o a piston to help build your power back up.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just people on the forum that i have talked to. I actually herd that with the 2006 intake and exhaust cams they gain power all the way through where the stageII you will loose power on the bottom w/o a piston to help build your power back up.
+1 to that, mine still hits off the bottom and pulls hard through the mid-range with the 06 Kx cams, even with the 15/37 gearing i'm running.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Prityboy69, this the question still exists!! Haha smh

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey also guys i wanted to know a your opinions on the fci. i ride in the desert and it gets pretty dusty on a regular ride. would the box be much help in keeping dust out? i read somewhere that a guy uses the stock air box with his fci. i clean my filter and box after (or sometimes before, depending on the weather or time i return from my rides) every ride. keeping the box clean isnt a big deal, i just dont want to be sucking up a lot of dust if i am trailing a buddy. tomorrow is the big day to order all my parts, so let me know what you all think!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ide go without box. Either way the dust finds its way in their.. Kinda like sand at the dunes.. Ull b washing out sand for months.. Ide rather not have a box thats jus gonna catch all the dirt.. But if ur gonna b in water/puddles ide get box.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I was running the stock piston, I am in the process of going to a CP 13.5 :1 piston. I also have my head ported and throttle body bored out. My engine builder recomended the cam combination ( stg 2 intake, stg 3 exhaust) To have better acceleration. He felt the stg 3 intake would take away too much midrange hp. He said to keep the same cams in, when changing the piston.
It's a smart combination with increased compression if you are not trying to build max top end power, which a lot of people aren't trying to do.

You build your motor to suit your riding style to deliver usable power in the range you use the motor.

There is a guy who builds a lot of KX motors and he does the stage 2 stage 3 combo with a stock piston and decked surface for more compression.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts