KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having an overheating problem at the end of my first ride, I found the fan was not turning on. I ended up thinking the relay was out (fan ran when jumped, fuse ok, Procom ecu). Well I come to notice the overflow bottle is empty. Check the radiator, empty too. Fill the radiator/overflow, fan works fine. It has no leaks and runs and starts great, thinking head gasket. Drained the oil, extremely milky and appears to be more than a quart. Is this accurate for a blown head gasket? What other things should I look out for?

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
After having an overheating problem at the end of my first ride, I found the fan was not turning on. I ended up thinking the relay was out (fan ran when jumped, fuse ok, Procom ecu). Well I come to notice the overflow bottle is empty. Check the radiator, empty too. Fill the radiator/overflow, fan works fine. It has no leaks and runs and starts great, thinking head gasket. Drained the oil, extremely milky and appears to be more than a quart. Is this accurate for a blown head gasket? What other things should I look out for?
Not a blown head gasket... But the 2 water pump seals would be the culprit for having coolant in the oil...see pictures below

Blown head gasket sign is poor performance & greyish-white exhaust smoke smelling of coolant...!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. It's a relief to not having to replace the head gasket. Seems YouTube is my friend on this subject. Does the kfx have a thermostat or anything else I should look to replace while I have it open? What is the best way to clean out the contaminated oil from the bottom of the engine?

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
Thanks for that. It's a relief to not having to replace the head gasket. Seems YouTube is my friend on this subject. Does the kfx have a thermostat or anything else I should look to replace while I have it open? What is the best way to clean out the contaminated oil from the bottom of the engine?
Since you have to pull the rt case to get at the 2 water pump seals...check/clean your oil sump screen from debris while it's apart....

To flush the bad oil out most just replace the oil (note) run the motor for 10~20 minute then do a complete oil change & new oil filter...

(Note):.. you can add about 1-cup of automatic tranny fluid that has detergents to help flush the motor out good during the 10-20 minutes you run the motor..

This thread will help you.. https://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/engine-efi-drivetrain/8830-how-clean-oil-screens-pics.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts