KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Kfx450r that has been sitting for years due to it being stuck in reverse. I haven't dug into it to much yet but so far I have unconnected the reverse cable from the assembly on the handlebar. I also pulled the cable away from the battery box to prevent any pinching and bent the elbow on the engine side end of the cable out a little to try to prevent pinching. It still won't shift into first gear. The shifter will freely move up and down. When in neutral it will shift down into reverse smoothly without using the reverse cable. It will also shift up into neutral smoothly. When trying to shift into first the shifter moves upward with little resistance and feels smooth, but isn't grabbing onto anything or going into first gear, even if rolling the quad back and forth. I've also tightened the adjuster on the cable all the way and tried forcing the reverse cable in as well as tried pulling on the reverse cable while attempting to shift into first. This all makes me think the cable or plunger is stuck in the position it would be in if you held the reverse lever down on a working quad. I haven't been in the bottom end and don't know how the reverse lever works, so I am looking for insight. I haven't drained the oil to look for metal yet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so I had some time to dig into it and found the issue. I will update this for anyone reading it with a simular problem. I took the chain and front sprocket off to get in there better and found out the mounting plate for where the reverse cable goes into the engine had broke causing the plunger to stick out the engine about half an inch. I was unable to push the plunger back into the engine to see if it would shift. Gonna have to order some new parts before going any further.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts