KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Steering Plate Modification...

14K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Kawie_450R 
#1 ·
Recently I had my dad machine out my stem plate and install a bearing. I race tested it at the Mountaineer Run GNCC and it performed great. After two hours of abuse, my steering still is smooth and has ZERO play.

I would post pictures of my plate, but I honestly can't figure out how from my phone.. If you want to see it, I can text some pictures. Email is an option too but texts are easier.

If you would like your plate modified the same way mine is, you can ship us your plate and $65 and we will do it. That includes the price of the bearing and the shim that goes over top of it, and labor. You pay shipping for us to get it, shipping is on us when it is shipped back. If you are interested PM me or email billywallace483@yahoo.com

Cheaper than a new stock plate and it's going to outlast a stocker for sure. It is also a hard task to find a Walsh plate these days although I did hear they are going to start making them again.

You may have also read about this on the Facebook group. I had posted there when I first got it done and hadnt yet tested it.

#3 ·
I can post the pictures on here if you want?

#5 ·
Yeah I just run a washer over top of it and it's good to go, hard to explain you'd honestly have to see it when it gets on your stem to know what I'm saying, but yes go ahead and post the pics if you can. I have no clue how haha I used to be able to from my computer but she's gone. Some people have argued it needs a circlip like another fellow has done before but it is not necessary. His is different, and If I didn't trust it I wouldn't have raced it and I wouldn't be lining it up at snowshoe GNCC in two weeks lol

#6 ·
I would but I don't think I have a stock bearing plate? I will have to check my spare frames.

Hopefully everyone will start doing this and quit paying what Walsh wants for their plate and $2 bearing. You don't need a billet plate, all you need is some machining and a good bearing.

#7 ·
Yep I don't want to badmouth Walsh they do make nice things, but I always thought it sucked the fix for this issue was so expensive lol over time it becomes worth it as you're saving on stock plates left and right but it seemed a little excessive lol the plate is pretty small!

#8 ·
Nope... haven't forgot what I had to pay for that thing still yet... so that says a lot about the pricing for what it is. Then it was no time before the $2 bearing was a goner and I had to figure out something for that. Once I finally did it worked good with a $25 sealed stainless bearing. So that's certainly not anything I'd wish on anyone and not money I would want to fork out again.

#10 ·
Correct you don't need a clip or set screw to hold the bearing in place. The plate holds the bearing in place so it doesn't fall out and the steering stem holds the bearing in place so it doesn't pull out. I made a jig at work to bore the plates out for a bearing on the lathe. I also bought extra plates to insert bearing and sell them but never followed through. And I have raced mine for 1.5 years now with an inserted bearing.

#22 ·
Guys were all on the same team here. I take pride in this group because we all do whats necessary to help each other out and we don't bash other quads or fight among each other.
That being said, jlb7569 a $50 charge is about what I'd expect to do this from my experience. If that is too high for you please just tell him thanks for your help but you are going to ask around and move on. If you two want to further this discussion please do it privately.

I do hope you get this all worked out though. Its a very smart idea and I'm sure it will all work out. Have a great weekend and good luck.
Braapppp

#23 ·
Hey, I'm not sure when or where this conversation went sour, but I wasn't trying to start anything. In fact, I didn't think that the $70 that he originally quoted me was to much, considering that other people charge $100 for the same thing. I would still consider having one done at $70 if he would still want to do one. Thanks, Jamie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I am not interested in doing it anymore for you. I don't need your money and I was not going to do it for free. When I quoted you at $70, I got a LMAO from you. Plus I was not going to just install the bearing you also wanted the plate to mount underneath the unit which also requires machine time and material. At the $70 minus the bearing which put it at $50, not including the plate, there is also wear and tear on the machines, drill bits, band saw, end mill and cutters for the lathe. I am not mad actually happy because it ended sooner than later. Plus when you figure it out other people can have it done by you cheaper than $50. So it's a win win situation for everybody.

#25 ·
Wow, you're still upset over nothing! I never meant anything by the LMAO, that's just me, I was joking around. You need to quit taking everything so personal man! I don't really need your services either, so , have a great day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.