KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any problems with the starter relay my quad will die when it gets hot and wont start I hit the button and hear the relay clicking but no fire after 15 min or so it will fire up any ideas I have already replaced the relay once

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would warm it up until it does that with the hood off and then jump across it to see if it will crank. Maybe the starter is them problem instead of the relay.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
A faulty battery with a bad cell will cause your symptoms, the charging system will over heat the battery if it has low fluid or a bad cell, causing the motor to die, and waiting to start again...

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Im running dual lithium batteries 24 volt set up
Isn't that a bit over kill one lithium is over 150CCAs which is plenty for your starting needs..!!!

Check the battery on the charging circuit full voltage & the charging system if it up to par...see pic...

And the battery in series between the solenoid and starter motor's check's it's full voltage...and what's your charging schedule of this battery, because it can be on the quad's charging system..

Make sure both batteries are fully charged & the charging system is working normally...Lithium battery's are known for overheating and discharging prematurely if wired in series...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Both batteries get charged after every ride and they are unplugged after the quad gets parked
You might be experiencing an issue with the lithium batteries not having a balanced discharge rate/ all cells in series are not equally discharging at the same rate, which causes the batteries to over heat when you go to start it...

Remove the one on the starter cable, try it with just one and see if your problem clears...

If the starter is slow or sluggish you'll know it's the starter brushes or burnt armature due to the increased amperage of the duel batteries..!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I will try that but my concern was the quad dying while out practicing only to start up 15 minutes later after it cooled down

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I think I just traced the problem back to the starter I ran the quad till it got hot and shut it off tried to start it and nothing got my volt meter out and put it to the post on the starter and hit the button and was getting 24 volts on the meter so now I need to find a starter to try

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Well I think I just traced the problem back to the starter I ran the quad till it got hot and shut it off tried to start it and nothing got my volt meter out and put it to the post on the starter and hit the button and was getting 24 volts on the meter so now I need to find a starter to try
24 volt starting is a common problem with burning up starter's prematurely...

especially a lithium 24 volt set up producing over 300 CCAs compared to the stock KFX 12 v battery of only 70CCAs..

Can you test the amp draw of the starter...???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone else had any problems with the starter relay my quad will die when it gets hot and wont start I hit the button and hear the relay clicking but no fire after 15 min or so it will fire up any ideas I have already replaced the relay once
I just bought a 2008 Kawasaki kfx 450r and it won’t turn on it’s not an engine problem nor battery I checked everything and it still seems to not turn on , not even my lights are turning on . Anyone might know the problem to it ?

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Kawasaki kfx 450r and it won’t turn on it’s not an engine problem nor battery I checked everything and it still seems to not turn on , not even my lights are turning on . Anyone might know the problem to it ?
welcome to the Forum....!!

Check the 30 amp fuse & the red electrical harness connector for being loose, dirty or corroded...see picture

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turned out it was the fuse burned out but I replaced it but the fuse keeps on burning out anyone know what might it be ?

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Turned out it was the fuse burned out but I replaced it but the fuse keeps on burning out anyone know what might it be ?
If it's the 30 amp fuse that blown...you have a short in your main electrical harness...
Check for wires worn & shorting against the frame...The usual suspect is the Tail light wire melted around the rear exhaust slip on...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine. I wired up some aftermarket headlights to the original switch on the bike. One at high beam one at low beam to test them to see if they work where they were supposed to. I go to start the bike wont start in neutral so I kicked it in first and started and then after a few minutes it died. What could be the problem? I took the relays out to check them I was also told check the starting solenoid. I dont know what to do im hoping it didnt fry my computer.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine. I wired up some aftermarket headlights to the original switch on the bike. One at high beam one at low beam to test them to see if they work where they were supposed to. I go to start the bike wont start in neutral so I kicked it in first and started and then after a few minutes it died. What could be the problem? I took the relays out to check them I was also told check the starting solenoid. I dont know what to do im hoping it didnt fry my computer.
Red/black wire is highbeam
Red/Yellow wire is low beam
Black/yellow wire is ground

See the schematic & double check your wiring again

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts