KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 08 kfx450r off a guy on a trade know it had a starter problem. But I'm having a hard time diagnosing the problem. I figured replace the starter and good to go lol. When I push the start button it kinds of sounds like it just spins inside. If i put it in gear and rock it. It will eventually start up after a time or two. Well I took the stator cover off and the starter seems to look good. The teeth look good and spins the gears. I'm not exactly sure if it could be the starter clutch or maybe a bad battery. But do to the problem. After a couple of tries it will fire. Sometimes the battery will die if I can't get it to start soon enough. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 馃榿

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It will start but you have to rock it in gear to get it to catch. Where is the decompression spring located? I'll try to get a video uploaded tomorrow.

Registered
Decompression spring for the fly weights on the exhaust cam gear.

Or could also be a slipping one-way clutch on the back of the flywheel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
How do I check the one way clutch. Since I already have the stator cover off? When I turn it it's hard to turn both ways. And when I turn it over it turns counter clock wise. It all seems to look good to me. I could only get a picture to upload.

Attachments

Registered
Yes...

The one way should lock up completely one way and turn the motor... yet spin completely free the other.

Sounds like it is pooched.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the help. I'm going to take the starter clutch off and inspect it then the decompression spring. Thanks for the help. I'll follow back up tonight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so the decompression spring looks good and is still on. I did take the flywheel off and looked into my one way clutch and it does turn both ways. The way it's not suppose to turn it does catch but sometimes after half a turn or sometimes after 5 turns. I took pics of the gear and the clutch. But have no clue how to get the clutch out. And where can I get s clutch at?

Attachments

Registered
1 - 11 of 11 Posts