KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I got a yz kill switch button as my start botton but my 2 wires came unplugged and I forgot what 2 out of the 6 terminals I need to plug them into in that plug from the old blob could anyone show me a diagram or tell me what 2 to plug them into

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
alright I think that might help me abit ill have to take a quick look at it

connect one of the YZ switch wires to the Brown & Y/R together..

Connect the other YZ wires to the black wire...

Brown wire is 12v power from the key switch..

Y/R wire is 12v power to the ignition coil...

Black wire is to the starter solenoid...

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts

This is helpful!If i wanted to keep my lights when i do the kill/start mod and leave only the highbeams how would i wire it to a switch.Thanks DD your the man with this electrical stuff.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I assume any YZ kill switch will work since it's just 2 wires?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I used the fly billet push button.. Clean look and works perfect

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am adding a second start button on the right hand side and leaving the original in place for now. Do I just attach the new switch to the black wires only as all I need this switch to do is fire the solenoid. All other items are stock and in tact electrically. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually after looking at the schematic it appears I just need to connect one wire to the y/r and the other to the black. This because my headlight control, start switch, etc are still in tact. The 12v from the br wire is already there as my engine stop button is in the on position and is making that contact. Will test with a jumper to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
Actually after looking at the schematic it appears I just need to connect one wire to the y/r and the other to the black. This because my headlight control, start switch, etc are still in tact. The 12v from the br wire is already there as my engine stop button is in the on position and is making that contact. Will test with a jumper to make sure.
Depends on the type of tether kill switch you have...!!!

N/O or (normally open) kill switch you tie into the start/stop switch wires of the starter button...disconnects the 12v power

N/C or (normally closed) kill switch you tie into the crank sensor wire & frame ground...!! grounds the 2v pulse

·
Registered
12 Posts

N/O or (normally open) kill switch you tie into the start/stop switch wires of the starter button...disconnects the 12v power

N/C or (normally closed) kill switch you tie into the crank sensor wire & frame ground...!! grounds the 2v pulse
Thanks. It is a N/O and i hooked it up as I mentioned above and it works well. Thanks for the reply and sharing!

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts

Thanks. It is a N/O and i hooked it up as I mentioned above and it works well. Thanks for the reply and sharing!
That's good, because I had the explanation backwards & for a kill switch...sorry for the confusion if any...!!!

"Starter button"...!

Any two wire momentary kill switch will work as a starter button...

1-wire from the switch to the BR (power) & Y/R (relays & coil) wire...
1-wire to the black starter wire

·
Registered
477 Posts

This is helpful!If i wanted to keep my lights when i do the kill/start mod and leave only the highbeams how would i wire it to a switch.Thanks DD your the man with this electrical stuff.
For the headlights, get a ON-OFF-ON switch from autoparts and you can have the lows and the high beams working....
High beans to the ON, the low beam to the other ON on the switch, and the Brown wire from the blob to the OFF leg of the switch.

Here's a picture of how i got my YZ stop button and headlights working, hope this helps!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 KFX450r
10 Posts

So if I am correct I need to splice my live button wire to the brown wire and my negative wire to the black. Doing this for racing so it is easier to start as my league is dead start. But I am using a KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas style button instead because that is my preference.

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
So if I am correct I need to splice my live button wire to the brown wire and my negative wire to the black. Doing this for racing so it is easier to start as my league is dead start. But I am using a KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas style button instead because that is my preference.
Yes.. Brown wire is + power & the Y/R wire is the ignition coil...Make sure to twist the brown & Y/R wires together..
and the Black wire is the starter solenoid ...

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts