KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock a arms have next to no paint left on them and Im wanting to paint them black. I was wondering if I could just use some of that sray on truck bed liner instead? That way it would be more durable and not chip off as easy. Just curious to see if anyone on here has tried this already or if yall think that would be a better route to take, if it will even work. Also if I do end up just painting them, what kind of paint do yall recommend?

P.S. I know the best thing to do is to get them powdercoated, but Im not wanting to spend a whole lot of money on this and would rather not have to take them somewhere so that I can have it put back together as soon as possible!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
One of my buddies used a spray on liner and did not add the rough stuff to it....looked like powder coating...he is a line x applicator....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Line x applicator??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also how did it hold up?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm not sure how much prep work was involved, but the bed liner paint peeled off like a large puzzle on my friends 400ex. I wouldn't suggest it after seeing the mess on his a-arms.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My buddies held up, but each case is going to be different for sure...I cant see it being any different then a truck bed...none of my line x has ever came off the bed of my truck. But like Ken said, he doesnt know how much prep is involved and either do I. I dont know anything about line x application other than giving the guy my CC and having him spray it on.

What I meant by line X applicator is he is a line x technician, he owns a garage that sprays line x.

I powder coat my arms and frame every year and there are some places that dont cost an arm and a leg to do it.

On another note Ken, can you get my the shock pump that goes with the FOX evo shocks? OR is this something I have to go directly to fox for. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I used the rustolium bed linear in the spray can stuff isn't holding up so well powder coatings the way to go!I think the real rhino linear may hold up better but may end up being more than p/c!I also used the kit that comes in the can on my new trailer floor that's holding up awsome I did two coats!

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
Use the U-Pol Grip #4 as a primer to secure the bed liner to the a-arms...

GRIP #4 makes paint, adhesives or sealants stick to all auto body surfaces such as: All Plastics, Aluminum, Painted Surfaces, Galvanized Sheet, Zinc, Fiberglass & Bodyfillers.
U-POL GRIP #4 UNIVERSAL ADHESION PROMOTER Spray Paint | eBay

Or U-Pol Acid #8
It is used for priming bare metal surfaces this promotes adhesion of paint and prevents steel from rusting. ACID #8 is cromate free, anti corrosive and infra red compatible. Typical applications are over rub through areas prior to painting, on new bare metal panels or over bare seams before sealant is applied.

U-POL ACID ETCH PRIMER #8 Priming Metal Spray Can Paint | eBay

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think ima go with the grip #4, thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I have found that a lot of it is in the existing surface and prep from doing wheels.

To be honest, I think the best results from a shade tree job are reached by scuffing well and cleaning well and spraying several coats of bedliner to the surface before the original paint or coating is too beat up.

The spray on bedliner in several coats grabbed like crazy to the powder coat or paint that was on one set of wheels, while the same did poorly in less coats on scuffed raw aluminum. But then wheels take a lot of abuse, especially racing and I have not raced the other set that I consider to have done much better for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts