KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

I am looking at a set of Hiper CF1/CF1R's and wanted to get the real lowdown on changing tires. The PO of my quad for some reason, put ITP "C" wheels on it, and he cracked off a 3" section of bead on the rear. I was thinking of just getting another C to replace it, or a set of Hipers for the rear until the fronts wore out.

I'm a slow-med trail rider that uses a track once in a while, lots of rocks and roots in the trails here in CT/MA. There seems to be some conflicting info about the ease of which tires can be changed. Some people say it's easy, others, it's just like changing any ATV tire (which IMO is hard, I pay the $20 for a change). I read their tech notes from the site and it looks reasonably easy.

WHat's the consensus? Hiper C1 for a fast trail rider? My 24 year old ATC250R still has it's original wheels on it!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
changing wheels with a beadlock are much easier!! u can buy a bead breaker for 50, a little soap, water, tire spoons and an air compressor . i take mine to a local shop, budy does it for me at like 12$ for 2 wheels, to take off and put new on

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Barney went with Tech 3s. I was wondering about the single beadlocks and ease of changing. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Only Tech 3's come in single and double, the other versions do not. Its not to bad changing the tire on a single beadlock, but very very easy with a double beadlock.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My rear Tech3s are dual beadlock. The fronts obviously, are single. Both were easy to install. Getting the tires off the previous rims was the hard part. Look at post #29. http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/suspension-steering-chassis/7980-transformation-3.html

Beadlocks are the bomb. I'm going to confess something right now. :blush:I didn't know until earlier this week that tires on beadlocks go on the outside! I've had to reseat mower tires out in the middle of commercial properties and have gotten pretty good at it. But up until I got my Tech3s, I never realized exactly how the beadlock concept worked versus regular rims.

As for the fronts with a single beadlock, it was simple. Lube up the non-beadlock side of the tire. Put it on over the beadlock side of the rim. Install the beadlock on the remaining outside bead. Lay the tire flat on the ground with the beadlock side up. Inflate no higher than 25 psi. My beads seated at less than 20 psi.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow just mounted up all four single beadlocks in about an hour. This was the first time I ever mounted, it was very easy. It was simply insert the beadlock side into the tire after a little WD40, then get it in there with a nudge or two from a tire spoon or my weight. flip it over, line everything up, a little anti-seize on the bolts and mounted them all by hand. Then tightened, fill to 25 PSI. That's it!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
wow just mounted up all four single beadlocks in about an hour. This was the first time I ever mounted, it was very easy. It was simply insert the beadlock side into the tire after a little WD40, then get it in there with a nudge or two from a tire spoon or my weight. flip it over, line everything up, a little anti-seize on the bolts and mounted them all by hand. Then tightened, fill to 25 PSI. That's it!
Sounds like you were watching me in my barn when I did mine. :lol: Good job.

By the way, if you have a Harbor Freight Tools (or order online) nearby, they have 1/4" and 3/8" drive torque wrenches for around $20. I used a 3/8" drive torque wrench to tighten all my bolts in the ring. I'm very confident they're all right at 10 ft/lbs. For $20, it gives a little extra piece of mind. I can't imagine the issues if I stripped a bolt or the threads in the rim.

Plus, HiPer says don't exceed 50 ft./lbs. for the lugnuts as well. For $650 worth of rims, I don't want to screw something up. :unsure:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I could use a small torque wrench. My 1/2 inch one allows you to dial in 10 ftlbs, but it never clicked, it is only good over 30ftlbs. Bah.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
"Beadlocks are the bomb. I'm going to confess something right now. :blush:I didn't know until earlier this week that tires on beadlocks go on the outside! I've had to reseat mower tires out in the middle of commercial properties and have gotten pretty good at it. But up until I got my Tech3s, I never realized exactly how the beadlock concept worked versus regular rims"

I did not know that either until i was mounting mine last night, but i cant get my rear beadlocks to seat properly, any tricks? I used my air compressor, i tried the air compressor and a ratchet strap (was a little sketchy, dont recommend it)...any help or advice would be appreciated. I used dishsoap as i was out of wd 40. Front tires seated easily and fast. rear are a pain in my arse.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
What do you mean, "seat"? Are you running single beadlocks? If so, I don't know why the inside wouldn't seat. Obviously, duals wouldn't be an issue but I'm new to this wheel/beadlock stuff anyway.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
With the non bead lock side my tire has a small little gap on each of the rear wheels, meaning it did not seat, no air is coming out, but i know its supposed to seat flush, beadocks went on easy for the front and seated properly...tried to text you yesterday to see if you used loctite or not, i didnt use any.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Slo, get the tire warm if at all possible. take it in the house for a while if need be and then soap it up and just dump the air to it. I've had to take some tires to 40-45 psi to get them to seat properly. you can also try bouncing the tire around

·
Registered
597 Posts
yes anti sieze or your inserts will spin if they rust..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of my beadlocks is leaking at the rim half. It's time to dismount and strip the whole thing :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts