KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I may sound like an idiot here, but what do people mean when they say the plug wire and cap aren’t in good contact?
The plug cap screws onto the plug wire, thus unscrew the plug cap trim some of the wire back, then screw the cap back on....

Here's a video to help...

Is it weird that I added a little Seafoam to my gas and it ran a little better? I was afraid of adding to much. I only put maybe an ounce in it,but I could tell a little difference. Should I maybe add more? If so,how much?
When cleaning a gasoline or diesel fuel system, it's safe to add more Sea Foam cleaning solvency to fuel. In fact, the more Sea Foam you add to fuel, the better it cleans! Start with a 2 ounce per gallon treatment and increase as needed. Ratios for induction cleaning devices can be as high as 50% Sea Foam to fuel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The plug cap screws onto the plug wire, thus unscrew the plug cap trim some of the wire back, then screw the cap back on....

Here's a video to help...

When cleaning a gasoline or diesel fuel system, it's safe to add more Sea Foam cleaning solvency to fuel. In fact, the more Sea Foam you add to fuel, the better it cleans! Start with a 2 ounce per gallon treatment and increase as needed. Ratios for induction cleaning devices can be as high as 50% Sea Foam to fuel.
Ok. So this is the first time I noticed this, but should the lil weep hole be leaking oil? Cause there is a good bit around the top of that hole. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Check if the spark plug hole gasket is in place or damaged...see picture
I figured I would get a picture of it just in case I wasn’t explaining it well enough. I just put oil in it like a week ago and never got to really ride it and the oil is gone.
80E6EACC-55D6-4B97-9BC6-88B86AD0EEBD.jpeg
A5B520E2-7866-4715-B697-52EE611B5BC7.jpeg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well my nephew got me to drop it off at his moms place so he can mess with it for a little bit. Their neighbor measured the fuel pressure and said it was only reading 22. So a new fuel pump? The fuel strainer is good. We will check the spark plug hole gasket when he comes home Wednesday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
With or without the Lexx programmer hooked up it's going to back fire & cut-out due to an extreme lean fuel mixture from the upgraded intake...!!!

All the 3 button fuel controller are the same to program & will work as long it's for the designed for the KFX450... Lexx is a cheaper price & wiseco is a better quality like here Wiseco Fuel Management Controller #FMC011 Kawasaki KFX450R 2008-2011/2013 | eBay

yes that's the TPS..try & place the meter leads into the back of the connector...red + to TPS + yellow wire, black - to TPS - brown wire, loosen the torx 40 screw, turn the key ON, rotate the TPS to the desired setting...easier with the sensor adapter part# 57001-1538 or here... Kawasaki 57001-1538 - SENSOR ADAPTER | eBay
Output Voltage at Sensor
Standard: DC 0.58 ∼ 0.62 V (at idle throttle opening)
DC 3.7 ∼ 4.1 V (at full throttle opening)
When I try the volt meter on the tps like you suggested it will not give a reading. It’s like I’m not even touching anything. Should I buy the adapter or am I not getting a reading cause the sensor is bad?

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
When I try the volt meter on the tps like you suggested it will not give a reading. It’s like I’m not even touching anything. Should I buy the adapter or am I not getting a reading cause the sensor is bad?
It could be both a bad connection or sensor...

Buy an adapter to make sure...!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Another question. The guy I got this kfx450R off of put the yoshi pipe on it and it has the stock intake. Could that be my whole problem? I don’t have the stock pipe to put back on and see if there’s any difference. Maybe I need an aftermarket intake to go with the aftermarket pipe? I would buy a stock pipe and try it but the ones I find are outrageous. So maybe an aftermarket intake would help?

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I’m going to look either tonight or tomorrow. It is not oil it is antifreeze.
Ok...went back a re-read some postings & I just caught this posting from a week ago...!

Are you sure it's antifreeze coming out of the weep hole or around the head gasket...If yes...!!!!

Stop everything...!
You might have a blown head gasket & that is a serious problem that will cause your symptoms your having...

Can you do a compression test...65~75 psi @ throttle wide open, starter speed or 900 RPMs...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ok...went back a re-read some postings & I just caught this posting from a week ago...!

Are you sure it's antifreeze coming out of the weep hole or around the head gasket...If yes...!!!!

Stop everything...!
You might have a blown head gasket & that is a serious problem that will cause your symptoms your having...

Can you do a compression test...65~75 psi @ throttle wide open, starter speed or 900 RPMs...

Ok I just looked. The antifreeze is coming from the bolts above the weep hole. It is oil coming directly from the weep hole.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I snipped your picture above & circled the area of the head gasket where the coolant looks like it's leaking from...Does your spark plug showing chalky appearance on the ground strap and center electrode. ?

Can you do a compression test...??

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It’s coming from the 2 bolts above what you have circled.the bolts at the end of that hose. The spark plug and stuff look fine. If it needed a new head gasket I thought the shop would have told me that when they adjusted the valves?

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
It’s coming from the 2 bolts above what you have circled.the bolts at the end of that hose. The spark plug and stuff look fine. If it needed a new head gasket I thought the shop would have told me that when they adjusted the valves?
Did they test ride it when they did the valves & how did it run for them...??

Did they say it ran crappy past half throttle or said nothing...??

Can you do a compression test...??... 65~75psi normal below 50 psi something is seriously wrong

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
They said nothing. So I asked him bout it the next day and he said he thinks the programmer was causing it. Other than that he said everything looks to be in good shape. He didn’t take it for a ride,just started it up and gave it throttle. My nephew didn’t go to his moms over the weekend,so I’ll try to find someone else to do the test.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I just wanted to say thanks to Dust Devil for all the help. It still runs like crap but it will get figured out eventually.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts