KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve been trail riding all summer about 2-3 times a week. Started up fine, rode about 4 miles made a quick pull in 5th and blew the motor. Connecting rod blew out the cylinder, cases, fan, starter, and stator cover. I figure it will probably cost me over $2500 for new cases, oem crank , cp carillo rod, CP piston or JE 13.5:1, ported head and a set of cams. bikes never been rebuilt except for a new timing chain probably has about 150hours on the motor since 2008. RIP KFX450r she will hopefully be back better than ever. What do you guys recommend for this rebuild?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
What was your piston compression & what fuel octane were you running...or was it a bearing failure that caused it...???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking piston seizing or piston wrist pin bearing failure due to oil deficiency...clogged oil sump screens, lack of lubricant from the wrist pin oil nozzle...
I think you may be right. I usually change the oil every 10 hours with 45oz of Rotella 15w-40 and oem filters (Heard it’s good oil approved for wet clutches and it’s cheap$) But the last time I trailered the bike home along with 3 other bikes Standing on the rear wheels and I might’ve leaked a good amount of oil from the intake.

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
I think you may be right. I usually change the oil every 10 hours with 45oz of Rotella 15w-40 and oem filters (Heard it’s good oil approved for wet clutches and it’s cheap$) But the last time I trailered the bike home along with 3 other bikes Standing on the rear wheels and I might’ve leaked a good amount of oil from the intake.
Yea standing it up could cause the oil to drain out l...future reference use vise grips & clamp the vent hose when transporting by standing it up on the rear wheels...!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts