KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Phoenix Arizona, I was told the rules to make a street legal quad are mirror, horn, and license plate braket with a light. Just wanted to know what the rules in different states are.

thnx

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unless you live in a small town and the local sheriffs let you. you're not allowed to have a quad on the streets in CO or at least that's suppose to change soon. I have heard you can run quads on the street on MO

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Here in KS you can ride on some roads and in some towns. The catch is no state or federal highways and to be able to ride in a town that town must pass a law allowing it. This was originally passed for rural farmers. Since I live in rural KS it means we can ride the dirt roads, county roads and such if we are just looking to get out and ride. You must obey all normal traffic laws why on the road. I was originally told this by 2 different sheriff's officers then went online to see the law

During the day you need eye protection at night you need a taillight and headlight as well.

A few excerpts.

8-1402a. "All-terrain vehicle" defined. "All-terrain vehicle" means any
motorized nonhighway vehicle 48 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 1,000
pounds or less, traveling on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to
be straddled by the operator. As used in this section, "low-pressure tire" means any
pneumatic tire six inches or more in width, designed for use on wheels with rim diameter
of 12 inches or less and utilizing an operating pressure of 10 pounds per square inch or
less as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Except as provided in subsection (B), it shall be unlawful for any person to operate an
all-terrain vehicle:
(1) On any interstate highway, federal highway or state highway; or
(2) within the corporate limits of a city of the first class.

© No all-terrain vehicle shall be operated on any public highway, street or road
between sunset and sunrise unless equipped with lights as required by law for
motorcycles.

Oklahoma is discussing passing such a law now it it in it's infancy and based on the information I have it would be more like Arizona where they can ride them in a lot more places. If you live in Oklahoma you need to contact your reps and have your voices heard.

Some contact info below.

Here are some links to the Oklahoma State House of Representatives

Majority Leaders
http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/HouseOrg.aspx

Minority Leaders
http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/HouseOrgMinority.aspx

Here is another listing that I found. I think it is the same names as above but in an easier format with names, numbers, and emails.
http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/MemberListing.aspx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Il rule

I think it was last year a law was passed that allows atv use on roads for farm use from one building to another so my buddies and i just use a loose definition of "farm" use

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think it was last year a law was passed that allows atv use on roads for farm use from one building to another so my buddies and i just use a loose definition of "farm" use
You can't use them in WI either except for farm use, maybe I should move, I would love to drive my quad to work

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Montana you have to have a horn,mirror and brake light and lighted license plate and headlight. I have seen people riding them to work, going down the Interstate and plowing snow on streets. I have mine licensed and also have to have off road sticker.:D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
in az ur horn has to be able to be heard from like 200 feet or something like that, lol to many ppl were putting on the little squeez horns before they changed the definition! hahaha my neighbor uses his to go to the corner store alot haha

·
Registered
138 Posts
In NE, it looks like it's about the same as KS. Farm use, helmet, flag, and you hafta stay off of highways. Gravel roads are ok and the town has to approve them to ride in town.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
thats so sweet!

·
Registered
43 Posts
In Montana you have to have a horn,mirror and brake light and lighted license plate and headlight. I have seen people riding them to work, going down the Interstate and plowing snow on streets. I have mine licensed and also have to have off road sticker.:D

i rode in Montana a couple years ago. we pulled up to a mall in Billings (i think that's where it was) and there were at least 6 atv's in the parking spots. i was blown away. on one of our rides through some mining area's, we took a "feeder" road home. It was a strange feeling, keeping up with and on the back bumper of a chevy silverado. He couldn't have been going that fast though, maybe 45 or 50.

I have also ridden some of the mining towns here in CO. you can ride through them here, but they are backwoods and not on pavement. I have heard a rumor that there is one small town here in CO (not sure where yet) that has become more atv friendly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here in Norway i can use my quad everywhere, legal.
Just have to have a numberplate and insurance in order

·
Registered
386 Posts
I envy those of you who can ride on the road legally! I would sell my car if I could ride mine here in FL! With some of the "vehicles" that are on the road these days, i.e. - golf carts, three wheeled scooters, etc., I think it's absurd we can't street legalize atv's. Hell, my quad would be a lot more safe on the road than a lot of them...

·
Registered
10 Posts

I was looking up the Department of Transportation stuff the other day, and in Montana you also need to have a Motorcycle Endorsement. I don't know how much they enforce it, since I've lived here my whole life, and have yet to see someone get ticketed for that. But it is in their regualtions.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
In West Virginia you can ride on secondary roads all you want and up to ten miles on a two lane road to get from trail head to trail head as long as you don't exceed twenty five miles an hour and you yield rite or way to on coming traffic. And you must obay all traffic laws have head light on if equiped and use arm signals when turning or stoplng.

An atv is any motor vehicle 49cc to 1500cc runing on 4 low pressure tires with a seat made to be stratled.

And trust me dirt bikes don't count i served 3 months in jail to learn that little bit of trivea. Dirty f**ken cops a shady prosicuter a magistrate on a power trip and a public pretender who don't know his a$$ from a hole in the grownd and i'm serving last halloween,thanksgiving,and crustmass in a 8 by10 cell away frome My Baby girl. So what ever the law is in your state make shure you know it by hart and fallow it to the "T" or even better print a page of it off on your computer and laminate it because there is alwase that one dick head cop who don't know the law as well as he thinks and won't lisen when you try to tell him. Remember inocent or not you still halfto set in jail untill you make bond you still halfto pay the bondsman 10% "non refundable" and still got to miss work to go to cort. The bad thing is even after all that you may get a worthless lier or even worse a public pretender and still be found guilty by a crooked magistrate on a power trip. So good luck with driving your quads on the road but untill they start issuing lisence plates for them I'll stick to the dirt unless I'm in Pickens W.V. i don't think people down there even have cars& trucks just ATV's,UTV's,and dirt bikes. I love that town i go there twice a year for thair poker run. Its a blast!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,609 Posts
I live in Phoenix Arizona, I was told the rules to make a street legal quad are mirror, horn, and license plate braket with a light. Just wanted to know what the rules in different states are.

thnx
I live in Lake Havasu AZ, and mine is registered for the street but only limited use to and from the dirt...Horn, mirror, brake light, registration and insurance is all I need to ride it on the street so I don't have to trailer it to the city limits...

Not allowed to use for daily transportation to work....only play..!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here in Sioux Falls, Sd it's 100% legal :) as long as you have license plate, horn, a mirror, and proof of ins. Drive mine to work all the time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ride mine here but only for quick bursts to get to the desert (like 3 blocks away) and to the gas station sometimes . Wish they would make it so i could ride it here but then it would get stolen as soon as I park it anyway lol

·
Registered
836 Posts
i wish they would make quads legal up in canada for street use you can have them for farm use that is about it but what buggs me is they let street bikes be legal yet tonnes of people are getting hurt on them quads are safer but they wont let them be ridden on the road i really dont get how some people think.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
riding an ATV on the roads is a big thing here in Germany. You can buy your quad already road legal or you can buy it for dirt only use. Horns, lights, turn signals and license plates are a must. Along with your helmet, goggles, gloves, boots etc... The Germans are serious about their protective gear. Funny to see a quad zipping around town. They equip them with wider a arms, shorter shocks, etc... Looks a lot like a TT quad with mirrors when they are done

1 - 20 of 23 Posts