KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best motor set up for duning, drag racing and some light trail riding?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,850 Posts
For drag racing/dunes I recommend an +3 stroker crank, stg 3 cams, 100mm big bore & ARP head studs...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Than
For drag racing/dunes I recommend an +3 stroker crank, stg 3 cams, 100mm big bore & ARP head studs...
thanks dust devil . But I’m not sure about hotrods crank. My buddy has a new set of stage 3 cams for sale for only $150. I wanted to keep it at 450 so 100mm is a 490? the KMs studs I posted a picture of Should be good then right

·
Super Moderator
9,850 Posts
Hotrod cranks & rods are better than stock many racers used them back when the KFX was still in production...Yes..100 mm big bore is 490cc...

The +3 crank is 472cc displacement with a stock 96 mm piston

ARP studs don't stretch so no more worries about blowing head gaskets...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hotrod cranks & rods are better than stock many racers used them back when the KFX was still in production...Yes..100 mm big bore is 490cc...

The +3 crank is 472cc displacement with a stock 96 mm piston

ARP studs don't stretch so no more worries about blowing head gaskets...
I was thinking of ordering a new oem crank and upgrading the stock rod to a Carrillo rod. keeping it at 450cc with a 96mm 12.8 or 13.5 JE Piston along with stage 3 cams and possibly a port job from Dasa. I would be running either 50/50 91 & 110 or straight VP 110 race gas. My engine builder told me to stay away from hotrods since he’s had bud luck with them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
it depends on how reliable you want it.

a JE 12.8, dasa recreational port job and other support mods should put you in the 53-54hp range with good fuel.

VP T4 Is a great fuel.

the trouble with the hot rods kits is the bearings and gaskets. oem should be used.

Make sure to not over paddle in the dunes. 21x12x8 6 extreme or 7 hauler is the go to.

avoid 8-9-10 paddle setups. With the exception of using gliders (shorter paddles) and avoid big, heavy 10” rims

Reactions: FranciscoG831

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it depends on how reliable you want it.

a JE 12.8, dasa recreational port job and other support mods should put you in the 53-54hp range with good fuel.

VP T4 Is a great fuel.

the trouble with the hot rods kits is the bearings and gaskets. oem should be used.

Make sure to not over paddle in the dunes. 21x12x8 6 extreme or 7 hauler is the go to.

avoid 8-9-10 paddle setups. With the exception of using gliders (shorter paddles) and avoid big, heavy 10” rims
JE 12.8 it is.
what octane is that T4?
I do need a set of paddles on 8 inch wheels.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
JE 12.8 it is.
what octane is that T4?
I do need a set of paddles on 8 inch wheels.
T4 is 100 octane, but it’s oxygenated
The only rims in the country are boss racing from chapmoto.

I’d buy some now if you need them

Douglas is out until December

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T4 is 100 octane, but it’s oxygenated
The only rims in the country are boss racing from chapmoto.

I’d buy some now if you need them

Douglas is out until December
I’m gonna keep rolling with my wheels until I find a used set on Facebook market place . Need to get the bike running before I purchase wheels
So I should purchase that T4 instead of mixing 110 and 91?
I’m looking for reliability with my motor build
Mostly duner with some drag racing against my friends with built yfz450s
If I’m riding in the river I plan on running 50/50 to keep fuel costs down but if I’m at the dunes I plan on running full race fuel for the two days or so. I was gonna go with VP 110

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I’m gonna keep rolling with my wheels until I find a used set on Facebook market place . Need to get the bike running before I purchase wheels
So I should purchase that T4 instead of mixing 110 and 91?
I’m looking for reliability with my motor build
Mostly duner with some drag racing against my friends with built yfz450s
If I’m riding in the river I plan on running 50/50 to keep fuel costs down but if I’m at the dunes I plan on running full race fuel for the two days or so. I was gonna go with VP 110
T4 will make more power. And should cost roughly the same.

run T4 straight

Reactions: FranciscoG831
1 - 10 of 10 Posts