KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to rebuild the top end on my 08 and could use some help. Should I be buying a rebuild kit or aquire parts separately? I hear that oem gaskets is the only way to go. I can only access 91 octane fuel not sure if I could bump it up a few points with some additive. Would a 12.8:1 piston do the trick or should I remain stock? I plan on cleaning the oil screens and possibly be replacing the cam chain. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Well I am not sure what to say on this one... so I will ask... what is your elevation.

That will have some bearing on rather or not the 12.8:1 is a good idea.

If so, I would go with OEM gaskets and get the stuff separate.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If ur in Minnesota its mostly above sea level If I recall correctly. 12.8 should be ok. Octane booster is a waist.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, here in Duluth we vary 600-1500ft above sea level. Most of my riding is done at about 1100ft above.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have about a dozen guys running 13.1 pistons on pump fuel and were at sea level. The biggest thing is quality of ur fuel. Some states have terrible pump gas. At ur elevation I would go bigger, at least 13.4 and just mix pump and gas. Then again though Quickkfx asked something I would like to know as well, what cams u gona run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was planning on running my kx cams, but I would consider stage 2 hot cams, although i hear that they are only a little more aggressive. I'm open to suggestions!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The 12:8 would rev faster than stock, so there are benefits, especially seeing an aftermarket piston is lighter. Paired with KX cams I think it would be a pretty inexpensive increase in performance. My wife runs that in her bike and it made a considerable difference IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts