KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 KFX450R and it is completely stock, and im wanting to give it a makeover and make it run better and go faster, maybe even do a stroker kit and bore it out. My question is, do I go as far doing a stroker kit, put different injectors, give it a tuner, exhaust, intake and dyno it, and put different shocks on it, or do I go out and buy a different ATV (like the Yamaha YFZ450 or try and find a KTM 505/525) I know the dollar side of it will be leaning towards the finding a new ATV but would the KFX after its built be faster?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was in the exact same spot you are now, last year. This bike is different from the rest of the equal atvs out there, and it will cost you a little more money. I just ordered a stroker big bore 500cc kit. I have a good deal of mods on mine but even with out the stroker it runs hard. When I rode it stock, I was not impressed at all. An exhaust and intake with stage 2 cams and power commander, and it came alive. I do all work myself and I'll provide any guidance I can if you decide to keep it. There are really smart ppl on this forum that are willing to help, along with one or 2 guys that know everything there is about the bike. I found that resource to be extremely valuable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im in the same exact boat. 2008 kfx450 completely stock and I'm not sure if i wanna dump money into it just to build it like I've always wanted to or just purchase a sidexside for the family (can am x3 xrs). i love the KFX but as I've right now she needs more attention. i mostly ride dunes and trails. I think im gonna do the big 3 (fuel customs intake, PCV and either DASA/Monster exhaust not sure yet. Also +2 A Arms long travel, fox or elka shocks. needs new chain sprockets/wheels. pretty much replace every old part but motor is pretty healthy fresh tune up and i change the oil after every ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say, Im in a similar position.I have recently cracked my case. on my 08. I'm in the decision process now.. have it repaired or purchase a used YFZ. decision, decisions. I'm really leaning toward the side of keep and repair, going to be costly though. I love this machine..lot of good time on this bike.

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
Maybe this will help you decide...?

I love my KFX too...!!! But...!!! The KFX has been out of production since 2014 & many after market parts are no longer available or very scarce to find used...

So you might want to look at something still in production....?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to say, Im in a similar position.I have recently cracked my case. on my 08. I'm in the decision process now.. have it repaired or purchase a used YFZ. decision, decisions. I'm really leaning toward the side of keep and repair, going to be costly though. I love this machine..lot of good time on this bike.
Just sent the rod through the cases a few weeks ago. Keep and repair! I see no problem finding parts they are widely available but very expensive. I’d like to run a cp Carrillo connecting rod and JE piston 13.5:1. My brother sold his KFX400 and bought an 05 yfz . It’s nice but everyone around my town has a yfz. Those Yamaha boys are mad annoying. The Kfx is just different and I’m a die hard Kawi Guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts