KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to pull the rear shock and link this week and replace it with a GT thunder XC link and race tech spring.

Any special tools needed or procedures or does everything just unbolt.

I read about the set screw in the link bolt.

I also remember Barney fife saying he had to cut out the linkage protection from his PRM swingarm. Looks like I’ll have to do that unless someone says otherwise?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Other than what you mentioned it is pretty straightforward.... except removing the stock spring will either whip you or lead you into damaged spring hardware without some guidance or a spring compressor because you can't back all of the preload off the spring. The spring is too long and the collars won't back off the threads loose onto the body.

So either use a spring compressor, or back the collars off as far as possible. Then use a block of wood and a ratchet extension to pry on the spring so you can remove the C spring keeper. The opening in the C spring keeper is so you can push the keeper off over the shock shaft. The pictures are pretty self explanatory.

After you are done be sure to check your clearance at the front of the link at full drop and check your clearance at the subframe cross bar at full compression if you have a lowered subframe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips!

I think I might bring it over to my uncles house and throw it in his press to get the collar off/spring.

I was able to do the fronts by hand but I figured the rear was much stronger than the fronts.

Hopefully I’ll notice a good improvement in the sand. I get so beat up when it’s choppy

Do you think I’ll have to cut off the shock linkage guard as well? I don’t jump much and I’d rather not cut up my nice prm skid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts