KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just had the carrier bearings replaced and after four rides I noticed a little black oil coming from what looks like weep holes ?under the rear frame where the carrier resides. We MVIMG_20200623_144104.jpg
MVIMG_20200623_144036.jpg
used "All-Balls" bearings. See pictures.. is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
Why All-Balls" bearings & not OEM...???

All-Balls" bearings have some bad reviews

Depends on what type of bearings used...

Not really..if they're standard bearing packed with grease maybe...but grease to leak out like oil is because of heat (bad)...!!!

No, If they're sealed bearing...

It looks more like engine oil than bearing grease...what does it feel like...?

Can you lift the rear & rotate the axle and feel & listen for any grinding or bearing seizing..??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought ALL Balls was good, sorry. Here is the link

The rear (axle) is solid. Not loose, no seizing, no grinding.

Why would engine oil be dripping way back there by (under) the carrier and/or why would those carrier bearings get so hot they are leaking "oil like"?

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
I thought ALL Balls was good, sorry. Here is the link

The rear (axle) is solid. Not loose, no seizing, no grinding.

Why would engine oil be dripping way back there by (under) the carrier and/or why would those carrier bearings get so hot they are leaking "oil like"?
If those All balls bearing in the link you used...There're sealed bearings...So the oil is not from the carrier but from someplace else
(quote from the link) "Rubber sealed bearings for additional protection from water and dirt. " see pic

Are you sure it's grease & not oil...?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further review.. I believe it's oil coming from the short sprocket area, running down swingarm and dripping off the rear carrier. I have had this oil leak discussed here before and I do not know where is't coming from. Maybe coming from when the clutch is engaged behind the engine (since that is right above the small sprocket)? or would the tensioner leak oil? I am ruling out the breather hose for now, however oil is also on the starter motor and running down the left side flywheel case. (the flywheel case/gasket is solid - that is not the problem.)

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
After further review.. I believe it's oil coming from the short sprocket area, running down swingarm and dripping off the rear carrier. I have had this oil leak discussed here before and I do not know where is't coming from. Maybe coming from when the clutch is engaged behind the engine (since that is right above the small sprocket)? or would the tensioner leak oil? I am ruling out the breather hose for now, however oil is also on the starter motor and running down the left side flywheel case. (the flywheel case/gasket is solid - that is not the problem.)
Places to look ,head cover, starter limiter gear cover, the shifter seal, front sprocket seal, clutch release & yes the cam chain tensioner gasket...

Check the clutch release lever could be a bad seal... Others have had leaks from there..see pic

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts