KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research and can't seem to find much information on the issue I'm having. I bought an 08 Kfx450r with no rear brake setup. So I ordered up all the parts and I cant seem to get any fluid pumped to the rear caliper. I've bled the front brakes on my banshee in less then 10min so I'm not sure why this is giving me so much trouble. First I'll tell you how I tried bleeding them. I'm starting with no fluid in the lines at all.

First I cracked the rear bleeder. Took off the cap on the rear master cylinder. Topped it off with fluid, and left the cap off. I pumped the rear brake pedal and the fluid level was not decreasing and I wasn't getting any air bubbles rising to the surface as to indicate that fluid was entering the line. So I took apart the master cylinder thinking there must be something wrong in there, but everything look good, all the O-rings ands springs.

Some help as to what I'm doing wrong or how I can bleed these brakes would be great! Thank you

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
get a vacuum brake bleeder to suck fluid to the rear caliper.

They are cheap at harbor freight

·
Registered
16 Posts
get a vacuum brake bleeder to suck fluid to the rear caliper.

They are cheap at harbor freight
blue99stroker is absolutely correct. Try to find a "MityVac" brand bleeder kit. They are about $30.00-40.00 and can be found at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brakes

These brakes a notorious for being a pia to bleed the vacuum bleeder is def the best way otherwise it's going to drive you insane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks guys, I'm gonna check out the local harbor freight and grab one. Is it pretty much the same process otherwise, once you get the fluid to the caliper??

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did this last week to my 09 rear brakes. I do own a bleed system but not a vac. After a few hours of pumping I realized there was still air in the line.

Here is what I did:

Top off your rear master cylinder
(with the bleed valve closed) Pump the rear brakes 3 or 4 times slowly. The last pump, hold it down then unscrew the bleed valve until you see fluid coming out.
Once you see fluid coming out without bubbles, close the valve. Try this a few times and you will be fine. I was in your boat last week and for 2 hours I couldn't get the brakes to be hard to push.. after I did the steps I mentioned only after a few pumps the brakes were working as they should...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you leave the master cylinder cap off for this? For some reason I thought the cap had to be on to create the pressure to push the fluid to the brakes.

So did you remove master cyl. cap, fill with fluid, close cap and then press the brake pedal 3-4 times, crack the bleeder, etc.

I did this last week to my 09 rear brakes. I do own a bleed system but not a vac. After a few hours of pumping I realized there was still air in the line.

Here is what I did:

(with the bleed valve closed) Pump the rear brakes 3 or 4 times slowly. The last pump, hold it down then unscrew the bleed valve until you see fluid coming out.
Once you see fluid coming out without bubbles, close the valve. Try this a few times and you will be fine. I was in your boat last week and for 2 hours I couldn't get the brakes to be hard to push.. after I did the steps I mentioned only after a few pumps the brakes were working as they should...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you leave the master cylinder cap off for this? For some reason I thought the cap had to be on to create the pressure to push the fluid to the brakes.

So did you remove master cyl. cap, fill with fluid, close cap and then press the brake pedal 3-4 times, crack the bleeder, etc.

Here is what I did:

No, actually I did this all with the cap off, as long as you have fluid inside you don't need the cap to build pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts