KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After picking out the wheels I liked, and reading on this board how the factory studs are short for Alba wheels, I purchased a set of Rad Parts extended wheel studs. Installation was very easy with a press, took longer to remove all the hubs. Installing the wheels, I started at 35lbs, had a stud fail at the flange before I even got near 35lbs. Wrote the company about the problem and was told they had a "few" that got through that were knurled incorrectly. Was promised they would replace them. Three weeks go by (and a ride), received nothing. Ended up purchasing four more studs from them. They are different in color but look the same. Replaced all four today, had one snap in the same place. I am not feeling confident with there product and I'm out $85. I will be contacting them again to see what they say. Please note the factory wheel torque is 58lbs. I did confirm my torque wrenches with a digital torque adapter thinking my wrenches were the problem. Thoughts on how the hubs would hold up drilling them (and the wheels) to a 12mm stud would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Are the oems too short when you remove the washer and just use the lug nut?

I have to do that with my ITP rims with my sand tires. No issues been doing it for years

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I was too chicken to buy studs from any where, afraid they would be China bolts. So I robbed some from used hubs off other quads with longer studs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the oems too short when you remove the washer and just use the lug nut?

I have to do that with my ITP rims with my sand tires. No issues been doing it for years
I find I always error on the side of safety. I replaced the nuts that don't use a washer and is longer and seal at the end. And yes, I didn't feel safe with the length of the exposed threads with the Alba wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was too chicken to buy studs from any where, afraid they would be China bolts. So I robbed some from used hubs off other quads with longer studs.
According to them, they are made here in the US. I've never had this problem before. I do own another ATV that came with 3/8 studs that I converted to 12mm, but the hubs are larger and the area has a lot more metal. Also, the aftermarket wheels I use are drilled for 12mm (Alba's are not).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts