KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got back from racing out by Barstow, CA at the Slash N Scramble. It was a rough course with lots of rocks, sand, rocks, silt, rocks, dust, and oh ya ROCKS!!!!

I got my first flat around 5 miles in on the front left. It is a nasty inch long gash in the upper sidewall. Continuing on in the race (slower now), I got my second flat in the rear left. I finished with two flats, which was not the most fun in itself, but before getting the flats, I noticed two problems.

1) Stock tires are too short for desert/XC racing. I was bouncing off of just about every rock before getting the flats and all the rocks after the flats :)

2) Stock tires are too thin for desert/XC racing. The stock tires just don't have enough ply's.

I'm looking online now to order either the Maxxis Razr 2 or ITP XCT tires. Looking to have 23x7x10 fronts and 22x11x10 rears to fix the clearance issues. Since I don't race MX, the higher profile tires should not be too big of a deal... but if in my GP racing, I hate them, I'll address the issue then.

(Since, my last quad was the KFX700 VForce, I'm don't think this quad could ever be as tippy as my old one :rolleyes: )

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Why are you going to change the rear wheel size? You usually have more options with the 9" OEM size and they are often cheaper too. (Unless you have some tires left over from your V-Force).

We race in a lot of rocks and ruts here in PA. I run 20" rears and 22" fronts and don't get hung up. The Razr-2's are nice they have good side wall bite also. A few of our guys are running the 21x11x9" rear Holeshot GNCC's also with 22x7x10 GNCC's up front. The GNCC's have nice rim guard protection that keep the rims from getting beat up too.

If you do not currently have a tire shop to deal with shoot me a pm and I'll give ya my best deal on some tires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
nstigatr------did you have any issues mounting the hipers on the stock hubs? A guy here bought some onda hipers and said they would not mount due to a raised lip on the hub?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
nstigatr------did you have any issues mounting the hipers on the stock hubs? A guy here bought some onda hipers and said they would not mount due to a raised lip on the hub?[/b]
No problems, I do run the 4+1's though, not sure if that makes a difference, I'll check later today and see.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you going to change the rear wheel size? You usually have more options with the 9" OEM size and they are often cheaper too. (Unless you have some tires left over from your V-Force).

We race in a lot of rocks and ruts here in PA. I run 20" rears and 22" fronts and don't get hung up. The Razr-2's are nice they have good side wall bite also. A few of our guys are running the 21x11x9" rear Holeshot GNCC's also with 22x7x10 GNCC's up front. The GNCC's have nice rim guard protection that keep the rims from getting beat up too.

If you do not currently have a tire shop to deal with shoot me a pm and I'll give ya my best deal on some tires.

Good luck.[/b]
Hey thanks for the offer n-stig8r. I ordered the Razr 2's from RockyMountainATV on a Tuesday last week, they were delivered to my door on Friday for $311 delivered. This was a great price I thought.... no taxes or shipping.

I now have 23x7x10 fronts and 22x11x9 rears mounted up on my quad. I weighed my stock rims/tires and my new Razr 2's:

Stock: 16lbs front and 19lbs rear
Razrs: 17lbs front and 24lbs rear

So, I gained 12lbs unsprung weight... the worst kind to gain, but it is worth every ounce in my book.

·
Registered
611 Posts
They dont call it SLASH X for no reason!!!! worst place to ride with all those sharp rocks, even cut the sidewall on my holeshot H-D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im running Holeshot GNCC's 21x11x9" rear and 22x7x10" up front, on stock rims. Only had one flat and I think it's just a leak from the last race. I'll have to see if it'll need replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts