KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have an 09 KFX450r that is running like a champ. The quad is all stock except a K&N Replacement filter. I just ordered a DG slip on, K&N Proflo kit. I had read on a forum of a guy using the intake tube from a LT500 and modifying it to replace the pancake tube on the KFX. So here are my questions:

1) If I attempt this mod, I understand I need to remount the crankcase breather tube (probably should put a filter on it); do I need to get a programer if I am still running my stock box?

2) If I don't do the mod to the intake tube, is the K&N proflow kit even worth it?

3) If I run the proflo, slip on, and the moded intake, what programmer would be recommended?

4) With such modest bolt on mods, couldn't I just use someone else's programer to adjust the fuel/air mixture.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got excited by title, I thought this was some other bolt ons u were talkin about. Lol. There's a lot of knowledge on here. Someone will be able to help.

·
Super Moderator
9,901 Posts
OK, so I have an 09 KFX450r that is running like a champ. The quad is all stock except a K&N Replacement filter. I just ordered a DG slip on, K&N Proflo kit. I had read on a forum of a guy using the intake tube from a LT500 and modifying it to replace the pancake tube on the KFX. So here are my questions:

1) If I attempt this mod, I understand I need to remount the crankcase breather tube (probably should put a filter on it); do I need to get a programer if I am still running my stock box?

2) If I don't do the mod to the intake tube, is the K&N proflow kit even worth it?

3) If I run the proflo, slip on, and the moded intake, what programmer would be recommended?

4) With such modest bolt on mods, couldn't I just use someone else's programer to adjust the fuel/air mixture.
The K&N pro flow will do nothing to increase the performance of the motor....

See pic...LTR tube vs stock...More air = more fuel

Yes you'll need a programmer if you replace the stock intake tube, I recommend the Pro juice box or Procom, but any 3-button type will work fine for your needs...

And Yes/No you can use someone else programmer, But! you'll have to keep it on the quad or re-install it every time you want to ride it....

The stock ECU doesn't program, only the race OEM ECU is programmable...

The standard programmer's are a piggyback system that receives then alters the signal to the fuel injector...

The Procom is a programmable ECU....!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
breather.jpg

breather 2.jpg
You might have to relocate the crankcase breather if so mount it here so it dont get that dirty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cool, that looks clean. Also another quick question, any opinion on home made intake tube solutions? I thought about some steel tubing or something that can bed around the shock, isn't the stock intake 3" in diameter?

·
Super Moderator
9,901 Posts
Ok cool, that looks clean. Also another quick question, any opinion on home made intake tube solutions? I thought about some steel tubing or something that can bed around the shock, isn't the stock intake 3" in diameter?
2" or 42mm is the size & what your describing is the velocity intake on Ebay which I'm using...It's great fro trail riding, if you plan on racing I recommend the Fuel Custom for the most performance you'll need

Here...KFX450R Velocity Intake Kit with K N Filter No Outerwears KFX450 KFX | eBay

·
Registered
735 Posts
I found this combo on ebay. The price is very enticing. I ride purely in the dunes so I feel like it could be good for me.

KFX450R Velocity Intake Kit K N Filter EFI KFX450 KFX | eBay

that looks like a pretty good setup. i personally would recommend FCI. i too had a proflow intake setup, and let me tell you the difference on it was crazy! this was recently too. im not saying that this wont be good for you, it looks like a good deal. but if you will consider anything else, consider fci.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts