KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Question about my shocks

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  kawie450r 
#1 ·
I just got a pair of used Elka stage 4 shocks for my kfx450r and measured them to be 18" eye to eye. Does anyone know if this is their actual shock length? Or if they are just adjusted to be that way right now?

#3 ·
I can adjust the adjust my shocks to be longer or shorter when of the quad and was wondering which one is the actual shock length

#4 ·
bump******

#6 ·
yes but when i turn the ring that holds the shock it gets either longer or shorter

#7 · (Edited)
18" eye to eye is the length of those shocks.

18" is the max they will extend, period.
Check to see if the springs turn freely by hand... this is zero preload... If not they have some unknown amount of preload on them.

Once on the quad and supporting the weight of the quad they will compress some (normal).

Recruit a friend who can read a ruler and take it somewhere flat like a garage floor. I like to park the front tires on a couple of pieces of cardboard like a pizza box, then have someone push down on the front bumper while I turn the bars back and forth.

This allows the front to settle as it would in the dirt.
The front tires scrub out as the front end is compressed.

Afterwards, have the friend measure from the floor up to the frame just in front of the peg. Then take another measurement at the last forward point of the frame before it turns up into that single spar... right in front of the radiator...

You should be level or pretty close.

If the front end is low with you aboard you can add a little preload... about 3 threads... or go to zero preload in the rear.

If the rear is low you can stay with zero preload in the front and go as far as about 3 threads of preload in the rear.

A "general rule of thumb" is that if you can't achieve ride height with the above, something needs to change on your springing. You'd have to post up some ride height measurements for suggestions

#8 ·
ok thanks i am used to my stock shocks so i can adjust the length of them so i figured i could do the same with my elkas because the ring goes around a thread

#9 ·
Right, you can in that respect.

You had folks confused by saying overall length, which can't be changed without the shock goes for a rework and shortening or lengthening (within limits).

What it sounds like you wanna do is adjust ride height, which you can. The Elka just has a different adjuster style. I do think there is a provided tool for their system?

#10 ·
Yeah I have the tool. Its 18" eye to eye so will I need a arms that take exactly 18" shocks or can i get a arms that take 19" shocks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.