KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my little brother left the key on the other day after riding my quad real quick so when I went to ride the battery was dead. I had someone waiting for me so I decided to take out the 75 amp or watt( not sure what it's called) charger for quick starts. The red piece fell off the battery spot so my brother connected positive to negative for both. I tried to start it but nothing happened then that's when I realizedy brother connected the two wron sides. We went to unplug but on our way there we heard a pop. We unplugged it and that was it for that day. I got a new battery and hooked it up and charged it and went to turn it on but no sound or even the green light for neutral came up. What do you think it could be?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry how do I know if it's blown? Does it get out of shape?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Pull it out and if the metal piece inside it is broken its blown. Its located under the front plastics on the right side if your sitting on the quad. Little block piece that the battery cables bolt to.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking at the fuze now and it doesn't look broken is there anything else it could be?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Are you doing the 30 amp fuse by the steering stem?

Swap it out if not.

If that is not it, you could have taken out that whole main relay or even the ECU.

Look at the wire plug that you unplug from the main relay, find the white wire, then check the corresponding spade on the relay for battery voltage with a multimeter.

One lead to the frame, other to that spade.

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have anythin to test the voltage. If it is the main relay or ECU how much would it be to fix it?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I don't have anythin to test the voltage. If it is the main relay or ECU how much would it be to fix it?
Go to Walmart. Back in the automotive section they sell an excellent multimeter that is dirt cheap for how good it is.

It is an Equus 3320 Innova Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter.

It dead accurate with a $500 meter, easy to use and costs $25.

If you plan to be a KFX owner, you will need one of these and one of the $10 ones with the needle display. These should come in a waterproof tool kit under the seat of the KFX.

The ECU is luckily cheap to fix right now because of the sales flop of the Kawi race ECU. You can pick one of those up for about $55 now because the rest of the stuff you would need to change the tune inside of it is about $600 or so and so these things don't sell.

The main relay is pretty expensive last I checked.

But you don't even know if you need to buy one of these without a meter to check things. Heck for all you know your battery could just be damaged and shorted out now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got a new battery th other day could it be anything else?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Gotta get a meter and check.

There is no way to know where power IS going and where it IS NOT without doing some simple tests. This will narrow it down.

Right now, it sounds like you bought a second new battery?

If so, that is the only thing that is eliminated at this point.
Some simple tests need to be performed to figure this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts