KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding my quad in the desert the other day, while doing nothing particular special the quad quietly died while doing about 40km/h.

Tryied to start it while rolling (using the electrical starter), nothing happened.

• When stopped, I noticed the fan ticking forward in incremental 1cm steps = not enough juice to spin it.
  • Turned off ignition and main key.
  • Waited 30 secs while I was checking if it was overheating or something, no signs of it.
  • Turned on key and ignition again, all signs normal (fuel pump sound, EFI light on and then off), and tried starting it. Just got the typical ticking sound you get when there's not enough juice in the battery.
  • Managed to push start it, but would only run for about 1 min and only if giving a lot of gas. Had to tow it back after that.
  • After the short run, not enough battery left to even give a EFI indication when turning the key.

On the quad I've replaced the ECU with a Kawasaki race one to hopefully avoid the power drain issue. My last battery died about 4 running hours ago, guess it was because of age as I bought the quad used after long storage time. The stock battery has been replaced in favor of a larger, standard size 12v motorcycle battery.

A few questions:

Can the quad run without a battery? (EFI, ignition etc. requires a more solid power source than the stator?)
As there's no heat shield on the battery, how sensitive is the battery to heat, can it be overheated and lose it's power quickly if it's not of really good quality?
Does the problem sound like a dead stator problem?
Is there anything else that could cause a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Might be a stator problem but it also sounds like a loose ground or connection, check all connections, particularly at the relay under the hood. If that checks out get it running and check output on stator.

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
Test your charging system...???

The DFI needs a constant 5v for sensors and ECU to operate and 12 volts for the fuel pump and Fan...

If the motor dies while running, due to a dead battery, then your stator, voltage regulator or bad connection is faulty...

for with a dead battery you should be able to push start it and ride it back to camp/pit, unless the stator not producing any voltage to charge the battery...!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

Dropped the quad at the workshop earlier, gave them a call and asked what's happening. They've done a quick test on the stator and they say it seems fine, outputting around 13,8 volts.

Here's a thought, when the fan kicks in, is the stator powerful enough to keep everything running?

Forgot to mention it has a PC3 as well, and I would imagine fluctuating power input could unbalance something in the EFI system?

I'll get back to you what's happening, if you got more ideas, let me know! It's all appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Dropped the quad at the workshop earlier, gave them a call and asked what's happening. They've done a quick test on the stator and they say it seems fine, outputting around 13,8 volts.

Here's a thought, when the fan kicks in, is the stator powerful enough to keep everything running?

Forgot to mention it has a PC3 as well, and I would imagine fluctuating power input could unbalance something in the EFI system?

I'll get back to you what's happening, if you got more ideas, let me know! It's all appreciated!
Your PCIII might have a malfunction or the PCIII splice into the TPS yellow wire might be a broken connection, Check the connection and dis-connect the PCIII and see if she'll fire...???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery was completely dead, 4 running hours on it and barely gave any indication on the voltmeter any more. I did check the voltage after apx. 1 hour of running and it indicated 12,97 volts, so something must've happened to it during the last 3 hours. Did not respond at all to charging. So will hope it was just the battery for now... Workshop says it starts and runs fine after change of battery.

(Maybe they're just looking for more business as they may know I'll be bringing the quad back after next weekend ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts