KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I think one is in and one is out... and another out is in the housing?

That's the way they make it look in the service manual.

I'll look next time I change my oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
There are Three oil passages.

I've been trying to figure out the flow too...since there are 2 oil passages going into the case from the outside radius of the cover...
The oil is pushed through the filter into the filter cap then split into three passages...

(Service manual)
(7-4 Lubrication system) shows two going out and one returning from the Pressure relief valve (#3) to maintain consistent (psi pressure) and oil volume (Flow) to the crankshaft one passage and valves assembly second passage and the third pressure relief valve to re-supply the oil (Flow)...

(7-11 Lubrication system) pressure relief valve...
A pressure relief valve is a safety device that relieves in case of overpressure in a vessel or piping.
Relief valve (RV) automatic system that relief by static pressure on a liquid. It specifically open proportionally with pressure increasing.

(7-13 Lubrication system) oil pump (scavenge)
scavenge oil pump..The subsystem of a gas turbine engine lubrication system that collects the oil after it has lubricated the bearings and gears and returns it to the oil tank. Or motors that exceedingly have high (RPMs).

(See attachments):lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do not know how the oil flows as I havnt looked at my moter yet but surely the oil flows either from the center then out the side gallery or vise a versa either way being forced through the filter!! so by drilling the houseing to route oil to the cooler and back surely the oil is bypassing going through the filter??? I stand to be corrected as I havnt looked myself yet and hope I am as I would like to fit a cooler to mine but not at the expence of the oil not going through the filter

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
No, it's supposed to either cool the filtered oil on it's path to the engine, or cool the oil from the engine before it is filtered.... depends on which way it flows.

I gotta go look at the manual again.

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Service Manual...

I do not know how the oil flows as I havnt looked at my moter yet but surely the oil flows either from the center then out the side gallery or vise a versa either way being forced through the filter!! so by drilling the houseing to route oil to the cooler and back surely the oil is bypassing going through the filter??? I stand to be corrected as I havnt looked myself yet and hope I am as I would like to fit a cooler to mine but not at the expence of the oil not going through the filter
Turn to the (7-4 lubrication system) in your service manual.
And Follow the Arrows showing you the oil direction through the motor..

or go here for service manual PDF...
http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/important-information/3946-kfx450-service-manual.html :D

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll take pictures of my filter cap to show you...

No, it's supposed to either cool the filtered oil on it's path to the engine, or cool the oil from the engine before it is filtered.... depends on which way it flows.

I gotta go look at the manual again.
(Service manual)
(7-4 Lubrication system) shows two going out and (one returning) from the Pressure relief valve establishing a loop to maintain oil supply...

It's a (scavenge) oil pump not a dry sump.(see attachment)

A (Scavenge) pump increases pressure and volume (flow) the faster it pumps and needs a pressure regulator to prevent the oil pump to drain the crankcase of oil by pumping it all to the head before it can return to the Pump...:eek:

From the pump the oil is pushed into the filter housing... then pushed into the filter cap,... then out to the cooler,.. then back into the filter cap,.. Then on Its normal journey....To the crankshaft one passage... To the Head valve assembly the other passage... Then divides to the pressure regulator in one direction (recycling supply Loop)... and to the Pump in the other direction to be filtered and re-pressurised. :D

I'll have pictures I'll post "Tomorrow" of the filter cap and oil ports..:D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's some photos...

The funnel show the direction the oil is (Flowing) (see attachments)

One port to the Piston oil nozzle to the oil tube then to the Transmission bearings..

Two ports to the valves and crank bearing.:cool:
(Pictures)
1) two ports to valves and crank bearings.^_^

2) one port to the piston nozzle, oil tube and transmission...:lol:

3) showing the two ports...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you put the welder tip as pipping to by-pass the flow direction and make
restiction?

Did the pressure are the same after installation?

·
Registered
313 Posts
looks nice man how does that super cooler work is it worth the money

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
The pressure is at 8.5-9 psi when the fan kicks on...

restiction?

By the required test at operating engine temperature (Service manual)...

7-10 psi @ 4000 rpms when the radiator fan turns on...:D

I bored out the oil adapter (what the oil filter attaches to) to divide the flow not to restrict...Inside the cap it normally divides into two 1/8 ports...
one of those ports divides into two 1/8th ports...(see attachment)

One port to piston nozzle and crank bearings...
One port that divides into two...
1) to the valves...
1) to the transmission bearings and gears (Crankcase)...

I simple divided at the filter than at the back of the cap... to send it through the (cooler 60%)(40% pass the torch tip as it normally does) than back into the cap to feed the full 100% volume into ports (Once again)

I also took a Dremel tool and grinded a slot (Joining the ports in the back of the filter cap) for oil to pass around the hose fitting's threads holding the torch tip so there's no restriction through-out the oils route through the engine...

Yes..! it's worth it...Better cooling..Better performance... Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 1 of 1
0 Yesterday 09:43 PM - permalink
the KFX kid 450

how does that super cooler work is it worth the money

I live in Arizona and it gets hot here...
It works if you know now to install it properly...

This is the Jaggs cooler I'm using #3100 so the hose fittings are headed in the right direction back to the oil fiter cap on the KFX450R...

http://www.jagg.com/jagg files/jagg pages/universal-jagg-coolers.htm

I just got my Trail tech "Vapor" and placed the water temperature sensor and threaded it into the oil filter cap...So now it measures my oil temp...

And with the PSI gauge 0-60 psi and the Tachometer on the vapor i can provide a better answer to your question..

Full line of aluminum billet guards

• Speedometer:
    • Current Speed
    • Maximum Speed
    • Selectable MPH/KMH Display
  • Tachometer:
    • Real-Time RPM Bar Graph
    • Numeric RPM Readout
    • Dual Programmable Shift Lights
    • Up to 20,000 RPM
  • Temperature:
    • Ambient Temperature
    • Engine Temperature
    • Dual Programmable Temp Lights
    • Exact Model Fit Temperature Sensors
    • Selectable °F/°C Display
  • Distance:
    • Adjustable Distance
    • Permanent Odometer
    • Selectable Mile/Kilometer Display
  • Clock:
    • Hour Meter
    • Stop Watch
    • Ride Time
    • Accumulated Ride Time
    • permanent Hour Meter
    • Selectable 12/24 Hour Display
  • Power Input :
    • Includes Power Connection Fits All Machines
    • Accepts Any Power Input - AC/DC
    • Auto Switch to Internal Power if External is Removed
    • Permanent Memory Guarantees Data is Never Lost
  • Value Added :
    • Custom Designed for Exact Model Fit
    • All Parts Included to Complete Installation
    • One Year Warranty
    • Unlimited Free Trail Tech Phone and Email Support
    • Waterproof Connections Included
    • Bright White Backlit LCD Display
    • Accessory Dashboards for Most Applications

ATV dashboards and Motorcycle Protectors Available

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I replied with additional (Info)

looks nice man how does that super cooler work is it worth the money
I included your posting in the reply for...
Quote: Originally Posted by phil kfx
restiction?

On this page...:lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I installed my Trail tech "Vapor" Tachometer...

That way I can provide proper test of oil pressure and temperature...

As I said: I placed the water sensor in the filter to provide me a oil temp instead of a water temp....(See attachments)
1st picture will show (Vapor Tachometer)....

second picture shows (pressure gauge & sensor wire, in-line cooler with temp gauge and oil cooler bypass with "Red" lever)...

Third picture shows (oil temp sensor wire)...

Also I installed a By-pass in the cooler lines to provide a oil temp using the cooler and with-out the cooler...:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Well, at least the grim reaper is not too far away when the time comes.... :lmao:

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Here's the fittings seperated from the cap..

First picture: !/8th drill bit through the fitting pass the threads...

second picture: 11/64 drill bit into the fitting up to the fitting threads and flare the end with a counter-sink...

Third picture: shows the fittings adjacent to their holes....

fourth picture show the 90 degree fitting male/female combo with the torch tip threaded into the male side of the fitting (10/24th threads)...

fifth picture shows: The hole to be bored to (21/64th) to allow oil to pass the torch tip to to divide the oil not to add restriction....

(Note) only bore up to the oil passages in the cap (where it normally divides)... (Not all the way through)...(Use the next size smaller than 21/64th for the tap of the fitting threads)... and also take a dremel tool and grind a groove joining the two oil passages so the oil can go around the threads of the fitting holding the torch tip....

Or you can contact...
To purchase a filter cap already designed for an oil cooler.....
(Contact)
[email protected]
Sam Holmes
DFR llc.

VP of Operations
Tel: 480-664-9860 Fax:480-964-5444

Can get a KFX450R filter cap for a oil cooler for $175.00
from Walsh race craft oil cooler kit..
KFX-450R - Walsh Race Craft

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
It will be some "Tricky" Photography...

Can you show me the groove you make with the dremel?
I can show you the Bit I used, and the step by step instructions..

If I can't get the photo. It will be a day or two until I'll have what you need..

(Note) when you drill the copper torch tip...Make sure you clean the curly Q's (shaving) or the drill bit will seize and brake off....I started 1/16 pilot hole and worked my way up to the final bore size...I went through Three torch tips to get the one I'm using...And I have a back-up Filter cap (Just in case)...Use oil when drilling......

21 - 40 of 131 Posts