KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Putting a "Jaggs" oil cooler on it...
Will have pictures and process on how in making your own custom filter cap.

To purchase a filter cap. (Contact)
[email protected]
Sam Holmes
DFR llc.

VP of Operations
Tel: 480-664-9860 Fax:480-964-5444

Can get a KFX450R filter cap for a oil cooler for $175.00
from Walsh race craft oil cooler kit..
KFX-450R - Walsh Race Craft
Anyone else thinking about doing it on their "Quads"...:cheers:
See Attachment Part # 3100
http://www.jagg.com/universal.html

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oil cooler

Putting a "Jaggs" oil cooler on it...
Will have pictures and process on how in making your own custom filter cap.

To purchase a filter cap. (Contact)
[email protected]
Sam Holmes
DFR llc.

VP of Operations
Tel: 480-664-9860 Fax:480-964-5444

Can get a KFX450R filter cap for a oil cooler for $175.00
from Walsh race craft oil cooler kit..
KFX-450R - Walsh Race Craft
Anyone else thinking about doing it on their "Quads"...:cheers:

Jagg Universal Oil Coolers

See Attachment Part # 3100
Installed Jaggs 6-pass oil cooler...

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice dude! I've always wanted to buy one of these, cooler oil = way better engine protection but every time i get enough money to i always buy other things of the same price.
enjoy!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Told you there was a cheap way to do it!... The kit prices are insane.

Did you put anti-vibe between the cooler and frame?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Doesn't your boot hit that big gauge?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
DFR is right down the road from me LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope!!

It's 1" and a half in diameter and only if my foot flies off the foot peg over 6 inches.. It stick out about 3/4" of an inch from under my pipe.:lol:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Idea!!

As you can see I mounted the cooler to one half of aluminum 3/4" by 8"
Strips and I'll use longer bolts and some heat wrap 1" width to provide the "Anti-vibe" Thanks for the Idea. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also Duster

As you can see I had to divide the volume of oil to pass through the cooler'(See attachment)

I bored out a welder torch tip and threaded it into the Fitting and "Flared" the end...:lol:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also !!!

If I do hit it "with my Boot" is because? I'll be flying off "my" quad looking for a soft landing..."Ouch" Hahahah!!!:lol:

To maintain control of this vehicle "Keep your boots firmly planted on the foot pegs"..... :D

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
12,056 Posts

As you can see I had to divide the volume of oil to pass through the cooler'(See attachment)

I bored out a welder torch tip and threaded it into the Fitting and "Flared" the end...:lol:
Use the "flower" or "food" setting... or manual focus on your camera if it has it to get good close-up pictures.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry!!

Use the "flower" or "food" setting... or manual focus on your camera if it has it to get good close-up pictures.
I was too close :eek: when i did a further close up shot..(Oops):mellow:

I also have to replace my "Pressure gauge" (0-15psi) with a (0-60psi) so I'll pull the fitting out and show in more detail (The torch tip (Bored 1/8th" "flared" and threaded) into the fitting to divide the volume of oil) Through the cooler...

At 4000 RPMs the oil preasure should be around 7-10 psi "To Test" (Oops)
I bury the needle at 16 psi above 4500 RPMs.

So i figured at full throttle around 11,000 RPMs the oil pressure is closer to 45-50 psi...(Duh):lol:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
nah Micha is a different shop, I dont know to many guys down at DFR i just hear of them cause they sponsor local racers and ive had to run up to their shop to get number plates last minute

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Me either... because like I said, all you gotta do is route the oil out through the cooler... as I was saying before.

Someone was saying something about what I was saying it wouldn't be pressurized or whatever.... But what you are doing is RE-ROUTING the original oil flow out the cap, through the cooler and back in.

The only thing that had me confused was which way the oil was flowing.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Portions divided..

Why the torch tip to divide the oil flow to the cooler? That's what I'm not getting. Too much flow and you starve the motor? Looks like a sweet set-up!
A large portion goes through the tip 60% (1/8th") Feeding the cooler and another smaller portion flow past the (Tip) 40% (7/64th")as it did normally in the filter cap. Just shy of 1/4" total passage size for oil volume to pass through.

Providing a division 60% through the cooler and 40% to re-join in the filter cap.

I bored out the the oil passage to allow the same amount of flow; related to psi.

any restriction to flow (volume)... psi will increase.

The same as if your filter is (clogged) or (pressure release valve screen need to be checked) Following the pressure test out-lined in the service manual. (7-10 psi at 4000 RPMs).

I'm at about 8.5-9 psi with a new filter and oil cooler...:lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Laws of Physics..

Me either... because like I said, all you gotta do is route the oil out through the cooler... as I was saying before.

Someone was saying something about what I was saying it wouldn't be pressurized or whatever.... But what you are doing is RE-ROUTING the original oil flow out the cap, through the cooler and back in.

The only thing that had me confused was which way the oil was flowing.
The oil will flow in the direction of least restriction... thus the larger port allow an easer flow through the cooler by the (Tip)...
And there more restriction to flow past the tip.

Long story short! the oil flows through the cooler easer than to flow as it did normally in the filter cap...Then it travels normally through the motor same (psi) and (volume) And back to the pump to start it's "Journey" again..

When you change your filter? You'll notice Two oil port (close together) in which i have my return from the cooler.. and the Third oil port is being fed normally allowing the pressure to equalize as it begins it's normal "Journey through the motor as usually."

The oil pump is capable of 30 psi oil pressure..:lol:

I'll include pictures "soon" to show what i'm saying....:D

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It flows the same...

Why the torch tip to divide the oil flow to the cooler? That's what I'm not getting. Too much flow and you starve the motor? Looks like a sweet set-up!
As it enters the passages in the motor. I'm just increasing the distance the oil flows a little..:lol:

Nice! (Quad)..:tups:

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
So what is the flow path normally through the cap?

Does it come through the cap and out the center of the cap through the filter?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts