KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
atseibert74 I was running close to the same setup and always had trouble with cold starts.
I fought for a year to get an Accel coil from somebody on this forum and ended up getting a Dynatek coil. Made no difference over stock. Didn't even affect idle. I worked with Duster for a while and he got me headed in the right direction for tuning. It's hard to tune somebody's bike from 500 miles away!!!

Anyway, I started messing with timing because the Procom comes preadjusted 3 degrees advanced from stock because they say it helps overall. Made cold starts impossible on my bike!!! So i opened map 8, set the "Timing vs RPM" -5 degrees at 0RPM, -4 degrees at 700, and -2 degrees at 1300. Leave the rest normal, because with your setup, map #8 will give most of the power of #9 without the need to aggressively rev to "clean out" the engine, and cold starts and stall-starts are muuuuuuuuch easier. It took 4-8 turnovers to get mine to start after stalling on 9...

Set your TPS around 0.62v.

I've since had the head ported, added a 12.8 JE piston, stage 2 cams and modded the map a little different for my elevation and lazy, low-rpm riding style.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
thanks for the info! It should definitely help me out. I just installed a coil and it definitely seemed to help cold starting. Now I've only tried it once when the quad was in my garage (around 55 degrees). I left it idle and it seemed to idle a lot smoother than before. I got it up to operating temperature shut it off and it started up again in half a revolution. Obviously when riding it could be different so hopefully I get it out this weekend and I will see what it does. I plan to buy the TPS adapter and check my TPS setting. I am running on level 7 on the Procom. You think I should move to Level 8? I tried 7, 8, and 9 and honestly I don't think I really felt a difference. I haven't ridden it much since I installed my FCI so I need to ride it and check the plug a couple times and see what it looks like. I've never went into the Procom software and custom tuned anything because I was afraid id screw it up and wouldn't really know what to change. Unfortunately I'm a diesel guy which is a matter of just cranking the fuel to it and go. That's not the case here!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I forgot to mention that when I was idling it now the head pipe no longer glows orange. I'm assuming its burning all the fuel now instead of pushing it into the head pipe as its burning?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
When I ran a dynatek I only noticed a difference for a couple months. Then it started like crap again too. Mine always started terrible on the stock or procom ecu.

Since I installed a jeep coil it starts awesome. It starts the same every time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just tried to reply to you but I don't think it sent. Could you let me know if you got anything?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a similar setup, BCI intake, but stock pipe. I recently bought the bike so im looking at a procom now so it dosent lean out and damage the engine.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm assuming you mean fci Intake?
I know one guy ran that setup on map 4 and it was fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
BCS actually

·
Registered
45 Posts
How lean will an intake make this bike run with a stock pipe? Should i park it until i can get a procom? Im not trying to burn a hole in the piston.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
What is a bcs intake? I've never heard of one.

Unless it replaces the stock Intake tube it doesn't do anything.

And yes if you replace the stock Intake tube with a better one you will be very lean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It dosent look like the intake tube itself is changed. Just an open top aluminum box with a different filter. Intake hose looks like stock rubber.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
It sounds like the cfm Intake that reuses the stock intake tube. Unfortunately you won't see any power gains until you replace the stock intake tube.

So you won't need a procom or fuel controller with that Intake.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok thanx, if i get a chance, I'll post a pic of what i have. Im new to kawi, having owned honda, polaris, and built yamahas for customers, i wanted something different. Im happy so far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aha! No need to post a pic. Its a DASA air box with a velocity stack/ airhorn. Looks like stock intake hose though. Previous owner cobbled together some junk filter to fit. Now i need a replacement and seems like no one but dasa offers the odd dimensions and they want 60 for just a repl element. Balls.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If you want to keep it cheap I would modify the airbox to accept either the velocity Intake tube or an ltr Intake tube.

Do a search first to determine if it's the stock Intake tube or not. I thought that the dasa intake kit used an ltr tube.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'll be working up a setup that is very similar to an FCI. Pretty much same tube design just a very small bit smaller. If anyone would be interested let me know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Apparently i have the ltr tube. Im guessing this requires a tune

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks like i have the ltr tube. Guess i need a tune now.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ya I would definitely run a tune. Don't want to burn it down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just bought a procom from MattMoriarty. Good deal on the part out of his bike. Wish i had the cash for his DASA too.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts