KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what the timing advance is on map 8 vs 9 vs stock because I have a ltr intake stage 2 hc msd blaster coil and full dasa and I have it set to 7 but it seems like its not quite right because the plug is reading rich a very sooty black so someone please lmk what could fix this

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
does anyone know what the timing advance is on map 8 vs 9 vs stock because I have a ltr intake stage 2 hc msd blaster coil and full dasa and I have it set to 7 but it seems like its not quite right because the plug is reading rich a very sooty black so someone please lmk what could fix this
Here's the factory spec's, use the Procom software to view map 7 timing...
From 10° [email protected] 800 r/min (rpm) to 39.5° [email protected] 000 r/min (rpm)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's the factory spec's, use the Procom software to view map 7 timing...
From 10° [email protected] 800 r/min (rpm) to 39.5° [email protected] 000 r/min (rpm)
A sooty plug reading is too rich air/fuel or oil consumption, not timing. Timing is monitored by the color of the strap (the bent thing at the tip of the plug).

Make sure your air filter is clean before you begin any correction of fuel/air mixture. If you can post a pic of the plug this would help.

I have a similar setup as your's and found #7 to be "lean" in the middle and above. I have been using a modified version of a tune which Dust Devil sent me and have been racing with this. (I "cut" my plugs after each race to verify mixture)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you send me that map because that's exactly what I'm getting not enough fuel on top but im new to tuning the procom and don't want to detonate my motor

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm reluctant to give anyone my map that I've spent countless hours testing at the track, cutting plugs, etc. I'm willing to assist you with tuning the Procom or answering questions, but start with the information below. I can send you the map which Dust Devil sent me as I appreciated the help he gave me to get started.

I will however send you a link (which I've been using for years) on "how to read spark plugs" PROPERLY as most have no idea how to do such. Take the time to watch this, understand it, and this will assist you with the long process of learning how to adjust the Procom. (I wasn't too sure about the Procom at first, but now that I've worked and raced with it for a few months I'm really liking how much adjustability it has)

P.S.: This plug reads really rich (but you say it's running lean?) but I'm betting this was pulled out after the quad was run slow or at idle...These are all things which affect the ACTUAL plug reading.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm reluctant to give anyone my map that I've spent countless hours testing at the track, cutting plugs, etc. I'm willing to assist you with tuning the Procom or answering questions, but start with the information below. I can send you the map which Dust Devil sent me as I appreciated the help he gave me to get started.

I will however send you a link (which I've been using for years) on "how to read spark plugs" PROPERLY as most have no idea how to do such. Take the time to watch this, understand it, and this will assist you with the long process of learning how to adjust the Procom. (I wasn't too sure about the Procom at first, but now that I've worked and raced with it for a few months I'm really liking how much adjustability it has)

P.S.: This plug reads really rich (but you say it's running lean?) but I'm betting this was pulled out after the quad was run slow or at idle...These are all things which affect the ACTUAL plug reading.
Map 8 had around 3 degrees advance

map 9 is close to 4 degrees

what mods?
Stock coil?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mods are full dasa procom ltr tube msd blaster coil stg 2hc i live in the mountains so maybe that has something to do with it and I've been playing with the different maps and trying to see ifi can get the plug reading right

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Its like when I get to the 6-8 k range its popping but yes I've been doing hc break in on that plugs it was at low idle and 1 ride

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok after 3 hours of tuning and 40 in plugs i think I got it right now I was giving it was to much fuel I was running map 7 but I seems to favor 3 here pics of 3-5 with plug color lmk what you think I am going with the first pic lmk what you guys think

·
Registered
446 Posts
Something you'll notice with the Procom maps is that they always add fuel when they add timing. Makes me think they are concerned with detonation, so they always add (excess) fuel to keep detonation in check. Makes for a rich setting in most cases which is safe, but best power would be found by taking out a little fuel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im testing out a version of map 4 with me doing just that I took a little fuel out of the mid range and seems fine but won't know til Saturday but I found where I went wrong I compared the ltr tube as a direct replacement for a fci and found out its definitely not lol its a third less diameter

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Mods are full dasa procom ltr tube msd blaster coil stg 2hc i live in the mountains so maybe that has something to do with it and I've been playing with the different maps and trying to see ifi can get the plug reading right
Are you using the accel connector for the coil or?

I used map 9 with those mods and it ran great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No im not i hard wired it with silicone in the plug to hold it in and water proof it and rn im running 3 because it gives the best reading on the plug and doesn't bog or pop so until I rebuild and add the real fci intake idt it will need that much more fuel

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
No im not i hard wired it with silicone in the plug to hold it in and water proof it and rn im running 3 because it gives the best reading on the plug and doesn't bog or pop so until I rebuild and add the real fci intake idt it will need that much more fuel
Map 3 is way lean.

start with map 7.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did and it pops but I blew the main relay so I'm waiting for a new one and I'll try 7 unless you have a map you could send me to try

1 - 16 of 16 Posts