KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys... I have been playing with this piece a while... but not long enough yet really at the same time.

I would first like to start out by saying that thanks to the folks at Procom for making this thing available and selling it to me.... I finally have a KFX that actually RUNS!!!!!

It starts something beautiful like it should, idles smooth for the first time, and does not give me any grief while riding. The stalling crap is gone.

So I am at ground zero now... and ready to see what I can do with it from here. That is about all of the personal experience I have ready to share with you now.

I am in the process of developing my intake right now, and doing this and that, and swapping this and that... and going back and forth from the custom intake to stock... etc...

So I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment and doing good to keep my personal notes straight. So if you ask a question and I don't give you an answer right away... don't take it personal... I will answer when I can. I try to maintain posting only the facts I know to be fact and I have a long ways to go in being to the point where I feel like I have that degree of answers for everything about this ECU.

I will finish with this on the difference with my KFX... as it did run fine before when running hard in the upper RPM's goosing it good...

It pulls harder and faster now on 15/38 gearing in 2nd gear than it did before on 13/38 in 1st gear. It's a big difference. I'm running out of playing room so fast now it isn't funny and that's with using finesse to keep the front end down.

I am thinking it may be a good idea at this point to just put the intake work back on hold a while, and develop this ECU all the way out with the stock intake... and then go from there with the intake development and adjusting the ECU to go along with it.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Back on the product... here are some pictures of the packaging... for part name and part number...

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inside is a nice silver box...

And inside the nice silver box are these goodies...
ECU with usb connector... programming/mapping software...

And under the software is a nice long usb cable... and a nice precision screwdriver

And once all that is out, you have a nice place to store your stock crap you'll never use again... lol...

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the simple man... the "carb logic" tuner guy

Now... I want to start talking about what the simple man will like about this piece... besides ridding you of the stock ECU of course...

It has both types of tuners in mind... there is the software and a ton of features for the mappers... who would buy a Power Commander...

But there are also 10 preloaded maps for the guy who would buy a simple "carb logic" style fuel controller.

And you can readily select between these with the provided screwdriver.
Yep... that's what that is for...
And here is where you will find the selector to use it on...

You guys however get to own the only piece of bad news I've been able to find about it so far...
The selector is not in such a hot spot to adjust easily

Nope... there is not much room to get in there with that fancy screw driver once it's mounted to the beast. Not sure if that was on purpose or not, so you would shut off and remove it to make changes. But it's 2 bolts fellas... no big deal.

Now if you already have a carb logic tuner... this is still a part you can benefit from. It rids you of the crappy stock ECU, and the pre-programmed maps have different fuel curves, different timing curves, higher rev limits and the ECU just flat uses "better logic" to meter the fuel and ignition timing.... AND YOU CAN STILL HAVE YOUR TUNER... It will still plug in-line on the injector (etc) and will still allow you to make any adjustments you want to the fuel curve the way you have been tuning.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the tech boys... dyno tuners... PC3 / PC5 users

Reading up until now, I know some of you are ready to rid yourselves of the PowerCommanders... and the stock ECU's...

Yet others of you are smirking at this product and asking yourself why you need this piece when you have your high tech PC???

Well here are a couple of software screen shots that should clear that right up for you....

Yep... that's fully programmable fuel curves... using your choices inside 3-way logic sectors.

Yep... that's fully programmable ignition curves... using your choices inside another set of 3-way logic sectors.

And yep... that's fully programmable rev limit... all the way to certain destruction.

The above is where you preview all the logic curves for the entire map.
Here is where you work in each sector to program your map... very simple...

Now at some point you may be able to do all this with either power commander. But not with this degree of adjustability/programmability (to my knowledge). Plus the cost for each additional module is more than this entire Procom unit... which replaces your ECU, gives you 3-way logic fuel programming, 3-way logic ignition programming, and programmable rev limit in one package.

And the same holds true as from above if you already have a PC. You can still use it if you want while still harnessing the additional benefits this has to offer you...

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel Programming

To clarify the fuel programming sectors again... they are... (pics get diluted a bit with posting)

* Fuel vs RPM (from the crank sensor)
* Fuel vs TPS (from the throttle sensor like you have now)
* Fuel vs ECTS (from the engine coolant temperature sensor)

This allows you 3-way logic here to control how fuel is delivered based on RPM, throttle position, and coolant temperature... and as I understand it, it computes this programming... and meters based on these 3 logics as well as the input from the air sensors. Stock logic for elevation and air temp... and your logic in the other 3 sectors... for 5-way processing of the actual fuel delivery.

The result is better computerized decisions made about fuel delivery with the cross logic... too much RPM for TPS metering = traction control I guess... too much TPS for RPM gain rate metering = bog control I guess.

And then the Fuel vs ECTS... how about avoiding overheating?... and pre-ignition from the increased heat. A little extra fuel at the right time goes a lot farther than you think on temperature control.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ignition Programming

To clarify the ignition programming sectors again... they are... (pics get diluted a bit with posting)

*Timing vs RPM (from crank sensor)
*Timing vs TPS (from throttle sensor)
*Timing vs IAPS (from air pressure sensor)

Timing vs RPM is the way it is usually done with that extra module... as more RPM can benefit from more advance due to the speed things are happening. But how can this be made better? Well how about if we can also program timing to react to throttle position... the actual amount of air and fuel coming to make an RPM with... to make timing decisions that build the RPM faster to go with the throttle input...

And the air pressure thing... there again an extra help with maintaining performance as the altitude changes or the air density in general.

And then you can add extra RPM to the rev limit if you want.
Nice I guess if the engine can handle it or is built to a point to benefit from it.
Big deal to some... frankly a "so-what" to me...

·
Registered
389 Posts
nice review duster!

i think that ill have one of those comming to my house very soon! it sounds like it cleared all of your existing problems which is great to hear! im realy surprised how much you can do with it, it completly eleminates the use for a pc3 or 5! Youve got me sold!!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice review duster!

i think that ill have one of those comming to my house very soon! it sounds like it cleared all of your existing problems which is great to hear! im realy surprised how much you can do with it, it completly eleminates the use for a pc3 or 5! Youve got me sold!!
There will be more review coming.... as it proves more to me.... and I can say more with conviction about what I am saying...

It has cleared all my existing problems so far. Only time will tell though.
I hope there are no shared parts with the stock Mitsubishi unit is all I can say.

The only thing this thing doesn't have is an AutoTune module.

But otherwise it can eliminate a PC3 or a PC5... but at the same time you can still have it too, if you already have it. I am just not real sure why you would.

There is already another member who is going this route over their current PC3's due to general reliability and PC3 failures.

Not building one up and tearing another down... just saying what I know one member to be doing.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have also decided I am going to go back to stock on the intake and put that aside maybe for a bit.

The big thing I have in mind though is that I really need to put the brakes on...

I really need to go over the rest of the system once more now that I have the new ECU and insure the input/output voltage is still in check and all if you know what I mean. Big thing is I need to make sure the TPS is adjusted where it should be for this ECU and tune the throttle body knob and all that........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Duster, do you have to be a programing genus to set your bike up. I mean reading through this altough very interested Im afraid I would have to take my quad to my buddies proformance car shop and let them get after the tuning w/the bike on the dyno lol. Just curious, very good post by the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When are the supposed to release it for sale and how much?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When are the supposed to release it for sale and how much?
I had no idea it was coming... it just happened to release right a the perfect time when I had to have one... so I went to compare the old style from RMStator and Procom and found this new release in place of the old one at Procom.

You can buy yours same as I did right from Procom for $299.

Product Catalog

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Duster, do you have to be a programing genus to set your bike up. I mean reading through this altough very interested Im afraid I would have to take my quad to my buddies proformance car shop and let them get after the tuning w/the bike on the dyno lol. Just curious, very good post by the way.
No... it is VERY simple to program. If you can drag with a mouse you can do it... and if you can't you can click and type.

It's just like anything else on the air/fuel... you'll be lean or rich or spot on.
The timing I would not mess with though yet until you understand it more.
Nor would I jack the rev limit way up....

But the beauty is you DON'T HAVE TO PROGRAM AT ALL unless you or your KFX just can't be made happy with one of the 10 pre-programmed maps.... as it already has all those to choose from.

Plus what is nicer is, if it comes to that, you can find the map that gets you closest... then use it as a base map and make fine adjustments when needed.

They have posted a copy of all 10 maps here Product Catalog (just scroll down) per my request for you to download for the software... which makes it so much easier.

To understand fully what I am saying go here first Download and download JUST the software and the manual. Then play with the software a bit just for fun.

You'll see how easy it is to make changes to the "default 0" map... for sake of operation... but get that uneasy feeling thinking about if you were actually loading the changes to try.... as in... "did I make too much of a change?"

Then you also will understand how nice it is they provide the pre-programmed maps for you to download.... as they give you something to check against to "judge" how extreme or tiny the changes you are making really are in respect.

Make sense?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a visual on what I mean about it being nice to have something to judge against...

For example...

Here is map0

Here is map1

And here is map9

So if you were starting your own map from scratch, you could see what kind of changes they made in mapping from 0 to 9 and from 0 to 1 and make your own judgment against that about mapping.

Or if you find one of the maps close, but say it's a little too rich up top... well you could just load that map in the software, make an adjustment to reduce the fuel around where you think it needs it... save it as a new trial file name... export it to the ECU by usb and try it.

It's not hard... you just have to do it and try it... etc...

It's a learn as you go with your own experience thing...
Not something complicated you need to know everything about from the get-go.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey just so you guys know you can order this off of kb for $200 sorry duster!!
The improved ECU or the Fully Reprogrammable one?

I'll have to go look.

But yeah, if KB has it, by all means, buy it from there and support a sponsor.
And save some money as usual with KB.

I never saw it on there.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK... I still don't see it... I think that is the old one... which I didn't see before either because I wasn't looking under that section (CDI units).

I don't know if Ken has these fully reprogrammable ones yet.

But I am sure he can or will...

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
One thing I'm wondering...you say you can use this in conjunction w/a PCIII or V...but are you sure about that? I'd like to, so that I could prevent my stocker goin out during a race...but I really wonder how the 2 fuel map controllers would go hand in hand. I'm guessing the PCIII would add fuel based off of the map you have selected on the Procom...meaning even more fuel would be added if you're running a more advanced map. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing I'm wondering...you say you can use this in conjunction w/a PCIII or V...but are you sure about that? I'd like to, so that I could prevent my stocker goin out during a race...but I really wonder how the 2 fuel map controllers would go hand in hand. I'm guessing the PCIII would add fuel based off of the map you have selected on the Procom...meaning even more fuel would be added if you're running a more advanced map. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Same way they do now dude...

I don't know why you'd want to except for push button adjustments...

But all you would do is run the Stock map on the Procom and run your PC just like you do now. All the PC does is alter that stock voltage going from the ECU to the injector.

If you advance the map on the Procom the PC voltage would be added to that.
Rather you use the selector or make a map.

All you'd use the PC for logically would be a push button fine adjustment later on after learning the Procom I would think... you know, just for an "on the fly" adjustment out in the trail.

1 - 20 of 307 Posts