KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my new PC Ti 4 pipe and took off the air box lid. Do I need to adjust the EFI to keep from burning the motor up? I am new to the EFI world and figured I better ask before I assume something.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just installed my new PC Ti 4 pipe and took off the air box lid. Do I need to adjust the EFI to keep from burning the motor up? I am new to the EFI world and figured I better ask before I assume something.[/b]
Yup, get an order in for a powercommander III.

get some pics of your pipe

·
Registered
71 Posts
It will prob feel like it has more power now than when he adds the tuner due to it running lean.

Agree with topdollr get a tuner installed soon. If you are going to run it that way atleast dump in some race gas to help cool the motor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Pro Circuit full exhaust sytem and the power commander III installed. The first time I sat down after the install, I gave it some gas dumped the clutch and pretty much sat still for a good 2 seconds. When I looked at my wife she shot me the what the F--- look and I couldn't figure out why. It seems that the reason I didn't move was because I was busy spinning my wheels and throwing rocks 40ft behind me. Needless to say the power increase is impressive and with the fuel mapping I downloaded from Power Commander, the jetting is spot on. I rode it around the house a little and the power was much improved.

I have my first big ride since the upgrades this weekend and I plan on racing my buddy on his YFZ to get a comparison. I'll try and post the results when I'm back. Maybe I can get some pictures together then too. It is a good looking pipe and the fit is great. Much better than the CT pipe I have on my Z.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just added the pro circuit pipe to mine the other day. The fit was spot on. I was wondering the same thing about the power commander. I am ordering mine within the next week. I havent taken the airbox lid off to try it yet just to see the difference. Thanks for posting the question I was wondering the same thing though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got the full pro circuit system and power commander, should I run with the air box cover off or on?

Is there s map for both?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Theres a power commander map for a pro circuit pipe and stock airbox on the powercommander.com site. It will get you closed thatn nothing. You could also try the baffle out and air box off map for now. Either that or go tweek the map yourself.

I have been waiting to get a pipe so im interested in what results you get.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommand...143&yr=2008

:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
All the responses are pretty good suggestions, but my educated guess is you probably are lean but not to lean and the only way to really tell is to throw it on the dyno or hook up a wibeband. That way you can take a peak at your afr's, otherwise your guess is as good as anyone here. No one really knows yet, and if you do show us some graphs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are many variables to each application. The Power Commander allows for tuning to the perfect air/fuel ratio will ensure that the engine can produce the maximum possible horsepower for that given combination.
What I trying to ask is the map (on the power commander - download site), designed to be used with the lid on or off? tks #229

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tested the Pro Circuit full system with the Power Commander III with the mapping for that set-up. I was very happy with the results. Throttle response was greatly improved. The engine felt like it was a completely different from stock. Power was still very smooth. It felt as if there was a bunch more power available and you could lug the engine a bunch more if you wanted. I really think that in the dunes, this set-up will be awesome.

I did get an opportunity to open it up on a fire road. After I pulled away from my buddy on his YFZ, I asked to do a couple of drag runs so that I could post the results. He flat out refused! :angry: Even after some razzing, he refused to line it up with me. Needless to say, I don't have results. I do think that I would have him off the jump, but in a long run he would catch me.

If I can figure out how to add pics to this site, I'll do so. I've got some right after the install so everyone can see how things look clean.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok thanks, And yes it feels like another 7 or 8 hp, smooth power - great throttle responce. Almost like cheating. Bob #229

·
Registered
171 Posts
Off for more power.[/b]
if i were to get just a pipe and left the air box lid on would i be ok with out a EFI controller for a while until i get the money for one?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
save up your money and buy it all at once man.[/b]
That always sounds nice but is often easier said then done. Others on here have recommended to me something I agree with. If you are looking for a little more power by the EFI controller first pull the airbox lid and the baffle, there is a PC map available for that. Then by the pipe and change the map accordingly.

I know how it is some times. Especially if you are like most of us and have a limited budget and a list of add-on parts you want that is a mile long.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts