KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some research I see a lot of guys like the 1/4" thick prm skid plates. When looking on their website I noticed they sell a "power lip chain guide", so I looked into them and a lot of guys are saying they aren't necessary or they wouldn't get the skid plate now. So what's your guys experience with this product? Good? Bad? With or without the chain guide? Was all for this skidplate until I saw this and now I'm hesitant to get it

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm not sure on the power lip chain guide but I have a 1/4 prm swing arm skid and it works great. I have the belly and a arm skids as well and they are all holding up fantastic.

I ran a cheaper brand swing arm skid and it didn't last long. I got tired of trying to bend it back and got the prm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure on the power lip chain guide but I have a 1/4 prm swing arm skid and it works great. I have the belly and a arm skids as well and they are all holding up fantastic.

I ran a cheaper brand swing arm skid and it didn't last long. I got tired of trying to bend it back and got the prm.
Ya I for sure have heard good things on prm stuff. I wanna Go with their skid. You haven't had any problems with the chain rubbing or anything?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
No they have the uhmw strip to eliminate noise.

I like the plate that covers the rear shock linkage as well

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
PRM is the only swing arm skid I'd use. I have had two. One on my old '09 and one now on my '14. They are fantastic plates and I never have to bend them back into place even after a 14 race season. They're amazing and well worth the money. Don't get the chain guide.

I prefer poly skids for the frame. The TM Designworks you can get at Motosport is a great plate if you're looking poly. A little pricy but I wouldn't skimp on frame protection.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PRM is the only swing arm skid I'd use. I have had two. One on my old '09 and one now on my '14. They are fantastic plates and I never have to bend them back into place even after a 14 race season. They're amazing and well worth the money. Don't get the chain guide.

I prefer poly skids for the frame. The TM Designworks you can get at Motosport is a great plate if you're looking poly. A little pricy but I wouldn't skimp on frame protection.

Ya looks like I'll for sure go with their 1/4" plate. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No they have the uhmw strip to eliminate noise.

I like the plate that covers the rear shock linkage as well
I believe the z plate swingarm is the one that covers the shock. The other one is mx/dune skid that only comes in one thickness and it looks like it doesn't cover the shock

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
if I remember correctly barney had to cut the shock plate off because the linkage would hit with the gt thunder xc link.

correct me if im wrong barney lol

prm makes a .125, .190 and .250 thickness skidplate.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yes. I have the long travel ARS-FX link. PRM makes a skid for long travel but they were out of stock. I'm not sure if that may cause excess drag in rutted out sections, too.

I had run the regular plate before and had the shock cover cut out so I did the same to this one. It works great and I rarely have any problems with dragging through rutted sections.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. I have the long travel ARS-FX link. PRM makes a skid for long travel but they were out of stock. I'm not sure if that may cause excess drag in rutted out sections, too.

I had run the regular plate before and had the shock cover cut out so I did the same to this one. It works great and I rarely have any problems with dragging through rutted sections.
I'm gonna go with there thickest one I don't want it breaking. Well worth it over breaking a sprocket or chain and leaving you stranded. I don't do much muddling or anything and have yet to encounter too many deep ruts, mainly need a skid plate for big rocks on the trail and the occasional log in the middle of the trail. If I see the cover on the shock part being a problem I won't hesitate to cut it out

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't think I've ever had to bend a PRM back. They're just that good. Yes, get the thickest. Its worth it.

Our XC races are really hard on skid plates. Some tracks have plenty of rocks and we hit some at full throttle. I've had others but the PRM is in a class by itself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've heard good things about vanilla gorilla skid plates too. Unfortunately they never returned my phone call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also in the market for a rear skid/ swing arm protector. My main concern is protecting the rear sprocket since I trail ride (no racing) in some rocky / muddy areas.

I saw some debate on rear swing arm skid plates vs. just the single (not double) side rear sprocket protector and it seems like a lot of people like just the rear sprocket protector.

What is the current thought on the skid plate vs sprocket protector?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think the prm is superior unless your looking for weight savings.

If it's a dune bike or track bike I can see running the sprocket and rotor guards instead lf a skid plate.

The prm not only protects the sprocket and rotor. It also protects the shock linkage and swingarm itself.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I traded a brand new sprocket guard and rotor skid for a used PRM skid.

People can say what they want, but there is no clearance advantage and there sure isn't a protection advantage. Some of them that have the tooth edges might keep you moving if you straddled a log. That's about it.

All I ever see come out of sprocess guard setups is thrown/broken chains and increased wear and tear. Just turns the chain into a ditch witch. Wears out the chain and sprockets, packs dirt and mud up in around the engine sprocket, and causes leaking engine seals or cracked cases. Or pulls something in and breaks or derails the chain.

On the rotor side you have to run something so no different than a skid. Most buy a poly piece instead of buying and cutting a real skid. Guess what... the poly don't bend, but it does flex, right into the rotor, causing impact when you hit something. Rotor cuts in the poly, rotor takes impact as do the brakes and the axle bearing on that side which is a single.

Let's face it, guys run sprocket guards cause it looks cool to have something that resembles a circular saw blade on their quad. That's all it amounts to.

Look at GNCC pro bikes and you will see skids on most of the top bikes and DNF''s occasionally on the ones that dont. Chain broke, chain derailed, swing arm bolt broke, rear brake failure, carrier bearings out.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I buy the .250 PRM then cut the front 3 pounds off.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
One of our guys did the same thing.

I forgot to ever ask him how that worked out before he stopped racing.

The only thing cut on mine is the bottom of the link skid. Sides still in place. Are you finding nothing ever hits the link anyways?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts