KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2014 I made a goal to run my first race. I'm 48, work out daily with weights and cardio (so I'm in decent physical condition) and been riding quads recreationally for about 15 years. My quad is stock besides a full pipe, intake and fuel/air module. There is a gncc race in Washington Ga in March which is only two hours from me. I'm planning on registering for this race. From what I can see I probably ought to register for the First time racer senior class. Is that accurate?

I've read through the the gncc website so I have most of the info there. What I'm seeking is info on items like:
What do I need for a pit crew. Can my family do an adequate job? Will I be changing out wheels/tires in the pits or just need gas?
Where do I get some actual racing "do's and dont's"? What line to take? What is a line?
Is my stock bike going to handle the abuse?
How many times will I need gas for a 8-10 mile track in 2 hours?

Do I need to increase my life insurance policy?:)

Please give me some newbie tips and tricks so I don't show up and race like a total beginner!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
A stock bike will be fine. For added insurance adding a chassis and brake/sprocket skid plate wouldn't be a bad idea. Depending on riding style A stock quad should be able to make the full race without refueling. You can stop on the last lap to be sure. All you should need is fuel during the race and anyone responsible enough to be at a pre determined place at a certain time should be able to handle the pit stop. Now if it is muddy maybe a change of gloves and goggles may be in order. You'll use more fuel on a muddy track too. Start in the back and have fun. The fast guys will catch you on lap 2 or 3. Just do your best to move over for them before they get right on you and you shouldn't have any trouble from them. You'll hear them coming! For muddy races. Powermadd Gauntlets are a nice to have also.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You don't need a pit crew. Just some friends to be there if you need them. Being that its your first race . You probably wont need gas. Stock bike is fine. Don't expect anything out of your first race, its not as easy as you think. Just go out and have fun, and you'll be fine. Good Luck.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Last season I ran out of gas at Steele creek on lap three, I only had an exhaust/Programmer/ and intake.. Ever since then i will stop for fuel on principle haha... I sprinted a half mile back to our pit area to grab my gas can. Although I'm sure it was funny to watch and we all had a good laugh at the end of the day, the average one minute pit stop could be well worth it as opposed to running out. Stock bike will be more than ok, if it is something you plan to continue and get more competitive in, save up and invest in suspension. That is the one thing that will help the most, sounds like you have the working out covered that helps alot too, just go out and have fun that's why you're there, good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
You should be fine on gas, just top it off at the start. Maybe practice starting it and taking off?Holeshots are big in XC. Just don't expect to be a front runner and have fun!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful!! That's the info I'm looking for. And to everyone's point I'm not expecting anything more than second...from the last!

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I suppose it does depend how hard you're on the gas and how many laps you get also, but as far as gas goes better safe than sorry. Lol Starts are the most nerve racking part, but if you don't get a good one don't worry, it's a 2 hour race. Just tuck in with someone and start picking them off if you're faster, also, when I'm on the line and there's ten seconds to go I like to rattle my competitions cage and start yelling and hollering, but maybe that's just me. Lol

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Sounds good just make sure everything good chain brakes bearigns adn buying a good frount bumper wouldnt be a bad idea

·
Registered
646 Posts
You have to have a teather kill switch! They check it

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Expect to have fun and learn the hard way what you need to race.

It's a ball. But expect to be sore for a few days after.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the tether ordered. Should be here this week and I'll put it on this weekend. Based on the bumper statement...is there alot of bumping and pushing going on in these races? Or just when someone wrecks and then it's a pile up? I"ll bring extra gas. I just didn't want to pit if I didn't need to.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Lot of people making mistakes. So one hits something, gets stopped dead, wham there you are, etc...

·
Registered
462 Posts
The pit is your call, go ride at race pace for 2 hours with no breaks and see how your tank looks, that's all I can say, but I can say running out isn't fun LOL And the bumper isn't a bad idea, even if its not for plowing other quads, it's nice to have a bigger one anyway in the event you get stuck, makes a nice handle for you and/or spectators getting you out, but I have raced with a stock bumper and didn't have terrible problems... If you got the cash go for it if not oh well lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm starting gncc also this year! When work lets me!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Plan to pit once for goggles gloves and gas. You will appreciate the break. Arrive early and figure out where your people will be watching from along the track. Find them then pit at will.

·
Registered
646 Posts
1 thing to remember in gncc racing...... If you are flying through the woods and see a bunch of people standing around........ You know something bad is about to happen! Lol

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yep, don't even blink... something knarly is there and they are waiting to witness your misfortune... or try to point you in the right direction on a multiple choice route... and sometimes those two things even intertwine a little... lol... they might even point you a direct and watch to see if you get stuck or wipe out... lol.

Usually they will steer you good... but you learn over time...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Typically, you don't wanna listen to the guy screaming and holding a Budweiser can with no shirt. He's looking for something awesome to happen, at your expense. LOL

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Typically, you don't wanna listen to the guy screaming and holding a Budweiser can with no shirt. He's looking for something awesome to happen, at your expense. LOL
Lmfao!!
The majority of people will point you in the right direction!be prepared to gas up a stock kawi tank depending on conditions and rider input will cut it real close u don't Wna run out last lap out!if u have the extra cash get a ims oversized gas tank there around 250.00 then u can hold an extra gallon of fuel and not have to worry!goggles I'd suggest roll offs they will out lasts tear offs and may last the hole race depending on conditions!
Make sure you have a camel pak or similar hydration pak,and also remove the small spring that's in the thumb trottle remove the three screws ontop of the cover and unbolt the thump trottle lift it up and u will c a small spring remove it and reinstall the nut/cover!your thumb will thank you for this it will soften up the trottle alot!
You will be hooked after this 1st race so b prepared to spend alot of money doing more and upgrading the kfx it's pretty addictive and a ton of fun!like other said get there Friday and find a spot that's trackside so your friends/family can help you pit otherwise you'll have to setup a spot so u no were someone is!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts