KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i just bought my quad last week , and i have only ridden it about 3 hrs now, so i jump on it last night and i notice the pipe right at the head is glowing very red, what does everyone think? run it till it blows or is this common??????? please give me some advise, thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pretty normal.....bet it's always done it and you only noticed because you took it out at night.

Linc

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I have rode mine at night and never saw it glowing but, the pipe runs extremely hot I posted earlier that when I tipped her over once the pipe burnt my leg through my jeans with a less then a minute of contact.

Hot is normal but I would keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its normal. It happen right when i took both my 400ex's of the trailer for the first time. We unloaded them at night and could see the heads glowing. It looks pretty sinister. :ph34r:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hello, i just bought my quad last week , and i have only ridden it about 3 hrs now, so i jump on it last night and i notice the pipe right at the head is glowing very red, what does everyone think? run it till it blows or is this common??????? please give me some advise, thank you[/b]
just want to let you know,my 450 is in the shop with a blown head gasket,due to heat according to my dealer,and i was still in the break in process,so you might want to let your local dealer check it out before you end up like me,i am getting no help from my local dealer or kawasaki customer service and i am really at my wits end with all this!!! i am asking for my money back tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello, i just bought my quad last week , and i have only ridden it about 3 hrs now, so i jump on it last night and i notice the pipe right at the head is glowing very red, what does everyone think? run it till it blows or is this common??????? please give me some advise, thank you[/b]
It's normal on 4 strokes and dogs for the pipes to be red at the head. when it happens to "YOUR" pipe you should start worrying.

seriously though, I have always seen the hi-po 4 strokes glow red w/o any problems, my guess on the head gasket/overheating issue in the last post may be due to the fan fuse issues that have been popping up with some regularity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it totally normal for the head pipe to glow like that, don't let the bike idle too long tho so the red makes its way back to the sheild on the head pipe. I had a yfz 450 before my KFX450 and it did the very same thing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
just want to let you know,my 450 is in the shop with a blown head gasket,due to heat according to my dealer,and i was still in the break in process,so you might want to let your local dealer check it out before you end up like me,i am getting no help from my local dealer or kawasaki customer service and i am really at my wits end with all this!!! i am asking for my money back tomorrow.[/b]

I assume you overheated, I have heard about that fan not turning on issue due to a fuse. Good luck with dealing with your dealer. I don't understand what is going on with Kawasaki Customer Service. What are they saying?

-Bill

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Bought my kfx450 on friday. My daughter took it for a ride and there was so much heat coming off the head pipe it caused the inside of her leg to blister.[/b]
The head pipe is definately hot as I have stated before but, I have to say that over break in time 20+ hours it is not as bad as it was in the begining I mean it was heating my pants up something crazy but now after plenty of ride time the pants are warm but not as hot as they used to be.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Bought my kfx450 on friday. My daughter took it for a ride and there was so much heat coming off the head pipe it caused the inside of her leg to blister.[/b]
Wear riding pants all the 450's run hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts