KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately this past weekend while riding in West Virginia, I had a bad encounter with a steep hill and a gas pipeline. The quad ended up rolling down the hill about 30 feet and smashed into the pipe. All in all it managed to break everything on the right side, but the plastic. (as you can see in the pictures)

I could really use some advice on how I should go about fixing this. If you have any stock parts that you'd be willing to let go please let me know. As of now I know I'm going to need at least, a front shock, right upper a arm, radiator, full exhaust, axle, and unfortunately part of the case is also chipped not just the oil filter cover. As I continue to take it apart to see all the damage I'm sure I'll find more, but for now those are the major items. I'm trying to get an idea of how much this fix is going to cost. Being 17 this isn't going to be an quick and easy fix for me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 4.jpg

*sorry if some of the pictures are sideways*

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think you can still run the muffler, but the axle, shock, radiator etc will need replaced! Yes that was an expensive wreck. Glad you were not still on it when it hit the pipe, repairs would have been the least of your worries.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Ouch... carnage.

The for sale section here and ebay are your new friends looks like.

The part I am sure you are most worried about is the engine. No worries... that part of the case can be replaced as the 3rd section is not part of the machined pair.

So you need the right side case cover, oil filter cover and water pump and water pump cover.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Yea I wouldn't worry to much about the quad. Hopefully you walked away with minimal injuries. Depending on what your are looking for, I have the following parts(all stock) an axle, shocks and a-arms.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I too have some parts if needed. A radiator(without fan hopefully your is still ok?) Shocks and a arms tie rod basically a whole bike without a motor and all in pieces.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses, I'll be sure to pm the few of you who said you had parts. I probably should have added this in the first post but I actually walked away without any injuries at all (well maybe besides a bruised ego).
Thanks for the support and advice!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
ouch for the kfx hope to see you get it fixed

·
Registered
646 Posts
Turn it into the insurance company!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you guys know if the right side crank case cover (oil filter side) can be removed without removing the engine. Can that cover be removed while the engine remains on the bike?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
811 Posts
The only thing I have is the oil filter cover just let me know if you need it.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Do you guys know if the right side crank case cover (oil filter side) can be removed without removing the engine. Can that cover be removed while the engine remains on the bike?

Thanks

Rob
The answer is yes... I have done it and it is a bit of a bear but not too bad when guided by someone who has done it.

You will have to remove the brake pedal, clutch cover, oil filter cover, hose.

Then remove the clutch completely... then start removing all the bolts including the ones inside the oil filter area.

Carefully get the case apart... don't force... and make sure all the bolts are out... and it will come apart and you can shift it forward for removal.

There is a bolt back by the rear brake light switch and shifter that is tough to get at and some more in that area. But all in all it has to be easier than engine removal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts