KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first time posting on this forum but not a stranger to searching on this site for great information! I have a 08 KFX 450r that has been stone cold reliable and has hardly givin me any issues. Today I went riding and I started to notice that 5th gear seemed almost like it was slipping in and out of gear. By the time I realized this I was probably about 1 mile from the lodge. So I nursed it there thinking it was my clutch but when I got stopped I noticed this noise coming from the case like something rattling. I noticed it would only rattle when I reved it up and did it the worst when in reverse. Im starting to think I might have messed something up with the transmission but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem before I go to the trouble of pulling the motor out. Thank You For Your Time and Help!!!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
like jumping out of gear or not moving typ\e of slipping?

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Hello this is my first time posting on this forum but not a stranger to searching on this site for great information! I have a 08 KFX 450r that has been stone cold reliable and has hardly givin me any issues. Today I went riding and I started to notice that 5th gear seemed almost like it was slipping in and out of gear. By the time I realized this I was probably about 1 mile from the lodge. So I nursed it there thinking it was my clutch but when I got stopped I noticed this noise coming from the case like something rattling. I noticed it would only rattle when I reved it up and did it the worst when in reverse. Im starting to think I might have messed something up with the transmission but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem before I go to the trouble of pulling the motor out. Thank You For Your Time and Help!!!
Welcome to the Forum...!!!

Only in 5th & reverse does it make the rattling sound...?
I suspect a bent gear tooth..!! broken tooth if it's rattling like something loose bouncing around in any gear..

I recommend you pull the motor & inspect it, If there's a loose object in the tranny could jam in the gear teeth and do more serious damage...!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It rattles in every gear. It will go into 5th but when I get on it it just goes in and out of gear. I drained the oil and found no motor shavings or pieced so im starting to think that I bent something in the trans. How hard is it to split the case on these? like I said this thing has been stone cold reliable for me and iv never had to pull the motor out or any major work

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
It rattles in every gear. It will go into 5th but when I get on it it just goes in and out of gear. I drained the oil and found no motor shavings or pieced so im starting to think that I bent something in the trans. How hard is it to split the case on these? like I said this thing has been stone cold reliable for me and iv never had to pull the motor out or any major work
No metal shaving in the oil, then it's possible you have a bent shifting fork and the rattling sound is the gear not meshing completely together...

Service manual trouble shooting guide..!

Jumps out of gear:

Shift fork ear worn, bent
Gear groove worn
Gear dogs and/or dog holes worn
Shift drum groove worn
Gear positioning lever spring weak or broken
Shift fork guide pin worn
Drive shaft, output shaft, and/or gear
splines worn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts