KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my nephews 450. He just bought it and said it ran great. Got it home and unloaded it and won't start. He claimed it would on the charger but I can't get it to. Battery tests good. Has a code 51.Spark plug looked good but ohmed out at 30k so I replaced it, new one was 4k. Wiring is good back to the ecm. Coil ohm tested a bit out of spec so I tried a spare and still no spark. I have 12v on the yellow/red wire to the coil. Pump primes and plug was wet so I'm assuming the injector is firing so I'd like to believe the ecm is good. Crank sensor ohmed good and injector is firing so I believe its ok. Anything I'm missing before I try an ecm? Not sure what to do test the ecm signal to fire the coil.

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
I ohmed out the cap, wanting to say it was 7k? It was within spec for a resistor cap. Grounds were good
Have you tried a new sparkplug..?

Don't touch the throttle or give it gas once the key is ON & until the motor is running..! make sure there's a little slack in the throttle cable to fully close to Idle position or the TPS/ throttle positioning sensor will be out of range "error code" & won't start...

Double check the the TPS voltage...see pic

Sensor adapter Part# 57001-1538 NEW 2003 GENUINE KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-6R ZX 6R SENSOR ADAPTOR 57001-1538 | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did replace the spark plug. I have 4.2 v out of the bike down sensor and if changes when you tilt it. .6v out of the tps in the closed position and it’s smooth thru it’s range

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
I did replace the spark plug. I have 4.2 v out of the bike down sensor and if changes when you tilt it. .6v out of the tps in the closed position and it’s smooth thru it’s range
Did you check the continuity/Ohms on the Ignitions coil's Blue/white wire known as the negative pulse to the connection ECU...?
If the connection is good, the ECU is probably faulty

Here's a color coded schematic to help

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts