KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just bought my first KFX450R and am new to this forum. I bought it used off craigslist and is an '08. It has a FMF pc4 slip on, outerwears airbox lid and lexx fuel controller. The guy I bought it from said he didn't know much about it. Said he thought the motor was all original and never opened up. upon further examination, I found that 1 of the 2 allen head bolts looked to be a little rounded. Other one looks untouched. Made me think someone tried taking it off with a SAE allen key and gave up. The things that concern me are 1. There's a very small amount of oil coming from the cam cover, I believe. I'm assuming they forgot to put high temp silicone on the half round part of the head. And 2. The timing covers were taken out at some point. So, I'm assuming the valve clearances were checked and altered at some point, although it's possible they rebuilt it and never checked them. So, I have no idea if i have original piston and/or original cams, valves, etc... Do you think I should just do a compression and leakdown test to determine if I want to rebuild? And do you think I should check valve clearances and timing if its running good? And do you think I should worry about a small oil leak from cam cover if i check/change oil often? And how often should you check valve clearances? And how often should you rebuild top end? And how often should you rebuild bottom end? Its alot of questions I know but I want it to last me a good long time.... Any and all info/opinions/advice are much appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
You need to buy a new valve cover gasket if it is leaking. Rtv will only work for so long. Change the oil, check valves, and check oil screens then ride it till she starts to burn oil.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, ok... I watched a rebuild video and they put rtv just on the half round part. I think I've seen several people do that... And how will I know if I'm burning oil if you're supposed to change it like every other ride? Seems like it wouldn't have much of a chance to burn much... And also, where should the oil level be in the window? I ran the wheeler for a minute, then turned it off. It seemed to settle above the top of the window, so i couldn't really tell... Does it have to much? It was level on all four wheels...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean when it starts to smoke?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Do a leak down to see the condition if the engine. Put silicone on the half moons. It will seal it. Says in the manual to use silicone on the half moons.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok cool thank you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and what/where are the oil screens? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know where the oil FILTER is.....

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Oh and what/where are the oil screens? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know where the oil FILTER is.....
there are 2- oil screens, 1- stator side oil sump the other is the clutch side oil sump...here's a thread showing How-to http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/engine-efi-drivetrain/8830-how-clean-oil-screens-pics.html

Do a standard Tune-up, check valve clearance & test your compression, if it's not burning oil or coolant when running, you don't need to rebuild the motor...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummm.....Yeah.... I should probably clean those! lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
When it burns oil you will know it! And you should just buy a new valve cover gasket..... I used rtv on a leaky one before it works for a while but started leaking again! I bought a new gasket and never leaked again

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just love when you try to help someone and a few other people have to tell them the same thing....... No one on this site seems to give a shit what i say! So i'm about ready to leave this site and never look back

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I just love when you try to help someone and a few other people have to tell them the same thing....... No one on this site seems to give a shit what i say! So i'm about ready to leave this site and never look back
^^^ dont listen to him.....lol i had to haha yea lately it been kinda weird

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said I am open to everyone's opinion. I will probably buy a new gasket and use silicon. The guy at my local Kawasaki dealership said they always do it. Well I feel alot better about my whole situation. Just gotta adjust the valves and clean the oil screens, change oil and oil filter and coolant, and do a compression check. (I'm sure it has plenty of compression) My last question I guess would be how to check the oil lol. In the factory service manual it says vertical or perpendicular to the ground, which to me means lean it on the grab bar. But, all grab bars are a little different in length. I'm assuming if its a somewhat normal length grab bar it will be fine. So, I should let it idle a little bit, then turn it off and lean it back on the grab bar, and when it settles it should be in the middle of the window? And also, do I need to soak the oil filter or anything before putting it in? I know these questions might sound dumb but I just want it to be perfect. I don't wanna blow it up my first time out. I appreciate everyone's help with this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Like I said I am open to everyone's opinion. I will probably buy a new gasket and use silicon. The guy at my local Kawasaki dealership said they always do it. Well I feel alot better about my whole situation. Just gotta adjust the valves and clean the oil screens, change oil and oil filter and coolant, and do a compression check. (I'm sure it has plenty of compression) My last question I guess would be how to check the oil lol. In the factory service manual it says vertical or perpendicular to the ground, which to me means lean it on the grab bar. But, all grab bars are a little different in length. I'm assuming if its a somewhat normal length grab bar it will be fine. So, I should let it idle a little bit, then turn it off and lean it back on the grab bar, and when it settles it should be in the middle of the window? And also, do I need to soak the oil filter or anything before putting it in? I know these questions might sound dumb but I just want it to be perfect. I don't wanna blow it up my first time out. I appreciate everyone's help with this. Thanks!
Questions are never dumb, just watch out for dumb answers...not specified in the manual between quads & bikes on the oil change which is confusing....

Quad are in the horizontal position, Bikes are perpendicular to the ground

Check the oil with all 4-tires on level ground or surface, if you put it up on the grab bar it will drain into your air box from the crank case vent hose...

If you have to tilt it up on the grab bar to transport, clamp the vent hose off with vise grips to prevent the air box from filling with oil....!!

make sure to add the specified amount of oil...1.27qt or 40oz with new filter...see picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, It's a good thing you said something. The factory kfx450r manual must have borrowed stuff from the kx450f manual. Ok, so after idling for a bit and then shutting it off, it settles over the window, which means I have too much right? Or is that window not good for anything? Do you just have to completely empty it and add the right amount? If that's the case, that's kinda dumb... And thanks again for yours and everyone else's help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I read that backwards! :/ sorry! i DO wanna lean it back

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Wow, It's a good thing you said something. The factory kfx450r manual must have borrowed stuff from the kx450f manual. Ok, so after idling for a bit and then shutting it off, it settles over the window, which means I have too much right? Or is that window not good for anything? Do you just have to completely empty it and add the right amount? If that's the case, that's kinda dumb... And thanks again for yours and everyone else's help!
Capacity
Oil Change - when filter is not removed 1.15 L (1.22 US qt)
Oil Change - when filter is removed 1.20 L (1.27 US qt)
when engine is completely dry 1.35 L (1.43 US qt)
Oil Level (after warm-up or driving) Between upper and lower level lines

Oh I read that backwards! :/ sorry! i DO wanna lean it back
Do NOT lean it back or it will empty the oil into the intake tube via the vent hose...

If your transporting the quad in the back of the truck and you need it to lean it back on the grab bar, make sure you clamp it with vise grips to prevent the oil from flow into the intake tube...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotcha. So it says to tilt it back for no reason.

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Gotcha. So it says to tilt it back for no reason.
If no oil appears in the site glass then...!

7-8 ENGINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM
Engine Oil and Oil Filter

Situate the vehicle so that it is( miss print perpendicular) should be parallel (level) to the
ground.
○If no oil appears in the gauge, tip the vehicle slightly to
the right until oil is visible then return to an upright position.
If no oil appears even when tipped at an extreme
angle, remove both drain bolts to empty any oil that may
be in the transmission and crankcase, reinstall the drain

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol ok... I was imagining it tilted back and I was thinking... It would be kinda difficult to get it on ONE wheel to tilt it... Stupid service manual people! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts