KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I would test my tps voltage today and of course I've run into an issue. The yellow wire going to the tps appeared to have a tiny fuse or something attached to it. I was able to get a picture right before the wire let loose and the little red fuse looking thing fell off. I have a picture but wondering if this is normally on these or if someone did this? I'm trying to find the little fuse looking thing as I didnt notice exactly when it fell off. Just noticed all the sudden the yellow wire was broke and the fuse was gone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the little red plastic thing, laying on the swingarm. Dont look like a fuse I opened it up and it appears to be a tiny wire connector. I can't imagine this is factory? It made the wire split right where that was. I thinking maybe the connection was already broken or barely touching, as to why i thought my machine has been running rich, no matter how i set the fuel settings on my controller.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the little red plastic thing, laying on the swingarm. Dont look like a fuse I opened it up and it appears to be a tiny wire connector. I can't imagine this is factory? It made the wire split right where that was. I thinking maybe the connection was already broken or barely touching, as to why i thought my machine has been running rich, no matter how i set the fuel settings on my controller.

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
See the broken yellow wire.. Does anyone just leave the TPS testing adapter hooked up? Seems like a great idea if I can figure out a clean way to mount it, without the test leads getting all dirty or damaged?
The red thingy is a splice...not recommended because they cut through the wire...as you know...!

& yes I soldered my TPS adapter into my harness...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have also permanently installed my TPS testing leads, but I put the vacuum plugs over the ends of the wires to keep debris out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The red thingy is a splice...not recommended because they cut through the wire...as you know...!

& yes I soldered my TPS adapter into my harness...
I got the yellow wire connected, and have been trying to figure out how to test this thing. I just installed new batteries in the multimeter and tested it on a plug in my house. This multimeter is shot. I'll have to get another one tomorrow and check again. I did notice that the quad seems to run the best at idle when the sensor is all the way to one side. If I start rotating the sensor the other way with the motor running the idle starts going down and it will stall out if I rotate it much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I was out there i decided to set the idle screw as recommended. Turned it all the way out to the left (which was 26 or 28 clicks). Then turned it to the right 22 clicks as suggested in the service manual. She starts right up and seems to run good at a good idle speed. I'm thinking that broken yellow wire was giving me problems, and hopefully it will run as it should now. I find it kind of strange that even with it running excessively rich, it still ran great. The bike had plenty of power for drag races and everything but it did stall out easy, smelled like raw gas from the exhaust, and my plug chop indicated it was rich.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I finally got around to figuring out how to test this. First my battery was reading 12.2 volts (cold). I noticed the manual says to warm it up to operating temp before testing. After warming up I'm getting 12.5 volts from the battery. It hasn't given me any trouble as if yet, so I went ahead and tested the tps. I adjusted the tps so that the output voltage was .61v, and tightened it down. Rechecked it after tightening still getting .61v. At full throttle I'm getting 3.9v. Hopefully this will be good. It seems to be running great, and the super rich gas smell is gone. Hopefully between fixing the broken tps wire, and adjusting the tps, it will run as it should.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just got back from a trip to the dunes. I can say that the kfx felt like it is setup better than ever. Finally feels like I dont need to do much to else to this thing. Its definitely making more power, and air fuel ratio has to be much better. I still have to check the plug, but I have a feeling it's going to look pretty good. No more strong fuel smell from the exhaust, and was able to beat a Raptor 700 pretty easily this time in drag races.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts