KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KFX450HQ.com is a friendly website for like-minded individuals who are interested in the Kawasaki KFX450 and any other quad/atv. We welcome all new members and ask that you start a new thread in the "Member Introductions" sub-forum to tell us a bit about yourself and a bit about your ride.

To start a new thread is very easy, as a shortcut, simply click this link: Create New Thread in Member Introductions Forum

You can also upload pictures of your KFX450 (or any other pictures) in our Photo Gallery, be sure to post em up in the forums after you upload them!

Thanks for being a member!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello! I recently just bought a new 09 kfx 450r lime green and love it. Im a huge trail rider but would love to get into flat track racing. If any one has ne suggestions on what I would need or any tips on racing it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! I recently just bought a new 09 kfx 450r lime green and love it. Im a huge trail rider but would love to get into flat track racing. If any one has ne suggestions on what I would need or any tips on racing it would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the site Jake! If you are looking for trails in your area it might be a good idea to start a new thread in one of the regional sections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just purchased a used 08 KFX this past Friday. It seems to run great but is hurting cosmetically. I hope to get good advice and help from the forum. I rode the quad the past two days and all I can say is WOW! The grin factor was off the chart. I have a 07 Wolverine 450 also and I was smoked by an EX 400 during last years ride to Wisconsin on the straights. Not next year, but I want my ride to look good doing it. If you have any clean panels off of the white color scheme please let me know. All I will be doing is trail riding so if anybody has any tips on set up please post. Thanks ahead of time.

Randy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got a 08 a few hours ago and loving it. I live in the "boonies" so we ride were ever the trails take us and being "redneck" the group isn't hurting in size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, im new..

Just bough an 08 kfx450r about a month ago. Its white and black, i love it. Theres a few things im not sure about on it though. I've rode it several times and it runs good, doesn't smoke or anything, but it burns a little oil. Is that normal? Also, when it hasn't been started, it takes 3 or 4 tries for it to start, but when it starts it will sit and idle. The battery seems alright, i have charged it some, and after i charge it seems to start a little better. It also has dyno jet, and after market air filter, Curtis sparks exhaust. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The battery on this quad needs to be well above 12v to start and run well. I keep mine on the battery tender 24/7. These quads can be a bit difficult to get started at first, especially if your TPS voltage is low. I'd do a search on here with how to adjust it, and if you can't figure it out me or a lot of other guys can help ya out there. It needs be at .64v. Also make sure that your idle knob on the throttle body is at 22 clicks from in when the knob is pressed in. Also, just to make sure ya know, if you pull the idle knob out it acts like a choke for cold starting. There are a lot of people who don't realize that at first.

As for the oil, if you aren't smoking I wouldn't worry too much. How much are you filling it up. If you fill it past the viewing window you're prolly blowing excess out your crankcase breather hose into your intake or just getting a bit of blow-by w/o knowing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, i don't have a multimeter. If i did i probably wouldn't know how to use it. is there an easy way to test the voltage? And my air box is broke where it bolts on to the sub frame. Don't have an owners manuel either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try some "MR. Clean" "Magic erasers" they work wonders for removing stains from my white plastics. Even where it is really worked in and scratched where my legs are rubbing on the track. They may dull the spot some but it would at least help it look better for now. You also can then take a pollishing compound and shine up the spot a little. Not much trouble at all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No, i don't have a multimeter. If i did i probably wouldn't know how to use it. is there an easy way to test the voltage? And my air box is broke where it bolts on to the sub frame. Don't have an owners manuel either.
Do a search on here, there is a service manual posted you can download, thanks to one of the members.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I was out of the riding business for around 14 yrs. I checked around asking most dealers that sold all makes which quad could i be the most competative on in stock trim. I bought a new left over 08 kfx450 only to pick up a copy of dirt wheels and read just the opposite. Whats the deal should I have got a LTR or YFZ?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Depends what you're planning on doing. W/some low buck upgrades, the KFX can be great. Idk what issue you read, but it's been winning all the 450 shootouts in Dirt Wheels this year.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sept issue says in the 1st paragraph that things just didnt add up on dirt that it falls well behind the LTR and YFZ all e with aftermarket exhaust that we must go into the engine to make it stack up against the rest. Dont get me wrong I love my bike just was confused dealers telling me 1 thing and reading another. Thanks for your quick reply

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I know what you mean. Dealers will say anything to get these quads off the floor. I'll tell you...with the big three (good exhaust, intake, and PCIII or V) and the right gearing, these KFX's will run with any of them. Add some cams in and it's even better, and I can't even wait to see what she'll do after a rebuild and a good port job at the end of the season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
used a little to much oil on air filter

new to this site.pretty cool.having problems w my 08 kfx,just got it out of the shop w rebuilt motor.cleaned the filter,used way too much oil on my filter.has not ran right since.replaced plug.wondering what i should do.any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Take your intake system clear off. I would be willing to bet that your problem is that you have a lot of oil in your throttle body that needs cleaned out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kawasaki 400 ATV 1999

Hi, Thanks for the kind words. I have the above ATV but this post is really for my son who has an old Kawasaki 1989 300 Bayou 4x4, the 300 is giving him trouble in that it cranks and runs for about the same amount of time, estimated to be approx. 30 mins and then it cuts off and won't start back up no matter what you try.

Leave it setting until the next day most likely its going to start and run again about 30 mins and it just die out.

He rebuilt the carb and it runs much better than before but it of course hasn't helped with the cutting of at all.

We have purchased an Ign Coil but as of this time he hasn't gotten it installed.

Any help from anyone with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

1 - 20 of 83 Posts