KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 KFX450R that does not have a brake light. I was wondering where on the frame that I would find the wiring plug for the brake light. The quad is heavily modified, so I am thinking it may have been removed. It has aftermarket ASV levers, so not front brake light switch, and the rear brake switch appears to be missing as well. I would like some sort of light out back. It wouldn't have to be a working brake light, at least a running tail light. Especially since I will taking it to Little Sahara, OK in a month or so and will doing some night riding.

Also, the head lights do not work. They are plugged in underneath the hood cover. However, the quad also has aftermarket handlebars, so the stock switches (other than the starter button and keyed fender ignition switch) are missing. Is there a way to wire the headlights to come on when I turn the ignition switch to the on position?

Thanks! Hopefully someone is able to help me out or get me headed in the right direction to remedy these issues.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I went to Little Sahara 3 times last year and plan on trying to make a couple trips again this year. I also met 3 of the forum members there last year as well.

I have ASV levers on my bike and all you should need for the front brake light switch is the wire that plugs into the harness and to the 2 connectors under the front brake resi. The wiring for the rear light should be tucked in (exhaust side) next to the sub frame. There is a member that has a stock taillight for sale for cheap i believe.

As for the headlights, you could just run a power wire with an inline fuse straight to the battery, ground each light to the frame under the hood and mount a remote toggle switch in the front fender on the left side. That's what i did for my green leds, but i'm also gonna have to figure a way to mount some new lights to the factory harness for night riding as well.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Where in the mid-west are you located?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The harness hasn't been cut has it? If so you will probably need to find a uncut harness.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The harness hasn't been cut has it? If so you will probably need to find a uncut harness.
I was thinking it may have been cut too, but would wait to see what he says after looking over his bike.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Oh and if it ain't been cut.. talk to DustDevil he is the smartest guy you'll find on the kfx electrical.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Oh and if it ain't been cut.. talk to DustDevil he is the smartest guy you'll find on the kfx electrical.

Lol, that's for sure, he's got his bike lit up like something from the movie Tron.

Along with all kinds of other electrical gizmos!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yea i been thinking of getting some of those led licence plate bolts for mine to.

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
wow guys! thank you so much for the information and quick responses!

I will have to look over my quad a little closer, but I am thinking that the harness has been cut as you have mentioned.

Also, am I able to use a stock tail light even if I end up not having a factory plug due to the harness being cut?

kfx450r08 - I live in Kearney, Nebraska (south central). Basically straight north of Waynoka, OK (Little Sahara) about 330 miles. We are planning our annual Little Sahara trip for March 14-17. About a dozen of us go down there. Always a good time!

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
Here's the lighting diagram...???

If the headlights & tail lights are removed, good chance that the harness has been race cut...

If that's the case get yourself a universal taillight like this...DRC Universal ATV Tail Light KFX400 DVX400 KFX450R Mojave LAKOTA Tecate KFX | eBay

A mini toggle switch like this from radioshack... SPST High-Current Mini Toggle Switch : Toggle Switches | RadioShack.com

put it next to your dashlights in your hood, and you'll have running lights...

I will have to look over my quad a little closer, but I am thinking that the harness has been cut as you have mentioned.

Also, am I able to use a stock tail light even if I end up not having a factory plug due to the harness being cut?

kfx450r08 - I live in Kearney, Nebraska (south central). Basically straight north of Waynoka, OK (Little Sahara) about 330 miles. We are planning our annual Little Sahara trip for March 14-17. About a dozen of us go down there. Always a good time!
Probably not unless you have the plug from the harness...Do you need brake lights or even have the brake switches to wire up or just need running lights...???

Get yourself this universal tail light DRC Universal ATV Tail Light KFX400 DVX400 KFX450R Mojave LAKOTA Tecate KFX | eBay

and wire it up as described above or page one...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

That's cool man, i'll see if i can try and make it up there that weekend and meet you, your buddy's and maybe ride together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If the headlights & tail lights are removed, good chance that the harness has been race cut...

If that's the case get yourself a universal taillight like this...DRC Universal ATV Tail Light KFX400 DVX400 KFX450R Mojave LAKOTA Tecate KFX | eBay

A mini toggle switch like this from radioshack... SPST High-Current Mini Toggle Switch : Toggle Switches | RadioShack.com

Probably not unless you have the plug from the harness...Do you need brake lights or even have the brake switches to wire up or just need running lights...???

Get yourself this universal tail light DRC Universal ATV Tail Light KFX400 DVX400 KFX450R Mojave LAKOTA Tecate KFX | eBay

I just need running lights because I don't have either front or rear brake switches.

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts

I just need running lights because I don't have either front or rear brake switches.
Service manual sent....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just bought a 2008 KFX450R that does not have a brake light. I was wondering where on the frame that I would find the wiring plug for the brake light. The quad is heavily modified, so I am thinking it may have been removed. It has aftermarket ASV levers, so not front brake light switch, and the rear brake switch appears to be missing as well. I would like some sort of light out back. It wouldn't have to be a working brake light, at least a running tail light. Especially since I will taking it to Little Sahara, OK in a month or so and will doing some night riding.

Also, the head lights do not work. They are plugged in underneath the hood cover. However, the quad also has aftermarket handlebars, so the stock switches (other than the starter button and keyed fender ignition switch) are missing. Is there a way to wire the headlights to come on when I turn the ignition switch to the on position?

Thanks! Hopefully someone is able to help me out or get me headed in the right direction to remedy these issues.
To me, It sounds like it has been fully stripped down to the minimum for weight lose for a strict drag bike. You might be better off replacing the harness so you don"t have to rewire all the light system. I have a use harness that I pulled off of mine if you are wanting to go a cheaper route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

To me, It sounds like it has been fully stripped down to the minimum for weight lose for a strict drag bike. You might be better off replacing the harness so you don"t have to rewire all the light system. I have a use harness that I pulled off of mine if you are wanting to go a cheaper route.
Thanks for the offer, but I think i will just wire up the head lights and an aftermarket tail light with a toggle switch like they mentioned earlier. I don' t have any of the brake switches, etc. Out of curiousity, what do you want to the wiring harness?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Make an offer. The only reason I have a new on was because I thought mine was bad. After installing the new one I found out that my pc3 was the problem making it go in limp mode. It has all plugs but the tail light. The wires are there but whoever had the bike before me cut it and put a stupid redneck led on it. I just put clips on it and plugged it in then silicone to keep water out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make an offer. The only reason I have a new on was because I thought mine was bad. After installing the new one I found out that my pc3 was the problem making it go in limp mode. It has all plugs but the tail light. The wires are there but whoever had the bike before me cut it and put a stupid redneck led on it. I just put clips on it and plugged it in then silicone to keep water out
I think I will pass. Thanks again for the offer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts